Walter Smith concedes Boyd is leaving Rangers

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Walter Smith has admitted defeat in trying to persuade striker Kris Boyd to stay at Rangers. The SPL’s all-time record goal scorer has offers from England and abroad, which Smith says are more lucrative than the terms on offer from the league champions.

Boyd had stalled on declaring his future attentions, saying his decision hinged on Smith being kept on at the club. The manager signed a one-year deal earlier this week but has now spoken out to say the Scotland international won’t be part of his plans for next season.

The former Kilmarnock striker has reportedly held talks with Birmingham City over a move to the English Premier League. Newcastle United, as well as Turkish club Trabzonspor, are also said to be interested in taking the 26-year-old away from Scotland.

Rangers had tried to tempt their number nine with an improved contract to continue his career in Glasgow. But with the spending powers of his potential suitors far greater, Smith says there is no chance of his club being able to match the salary they will be able to offer.

“Kris is going, there is no doubt about that now,” Smith told the Daily Record. “We have never wanted to admit he would leave but we are doing so now.

“We’ve made him an offer but he’s getting much higher offers from other clubs and he is going.

“Kris leaves here with the best wishes of every one of us at Rangers. He has been absolutely terrific for this club and his scoring record is second to none.”

Boyd often struggled to hold down a regular starting slot under Smith but enjoyed greater first team opportunities this season, scoring 26 goals. He also broke Henrik Larsson’s league scoring record, breaking through the barrier when he scored five in a match against Dundee United in December.

Although Boyd was often left cooling his heels on the bench by Smith, the manager insists he wanted to keep his star man at the club and is “disappointed” he isn’t staying at Ibrox.

“I know people have said I had a problem with Kris because I left him out of a lot of my starting teams but I actually get on very well with him,” said Smith. “I must admit I like him and I hope he is a success wherever he goes.

“I’m disappointed we can’t offer enough to keep him with us but I really do wish him continued success.”

Source

Won't miss him. He was a lazy B' and hardly done anything for the team. Anybody can stand in a 6yd box and put the ball in the net. You are better of without him. Good ridance I say.

128 GOALS IN 193 APPEARANCES FOR RANGERS.

Not bad for a lazy B'

good luck to him whatever he does:Clap:

128 GOALS IN 193 APPEARANCES FOR RANGERS.

Not bad for a lazy B'

good luck to him whatever he does:Clap:

thats mostly in domestic competitions?

i think he'll struggle badly in any other league tbh especially if he does go the the premiership

better class of defender, faster paced games

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

so if Jack and Victor asked the fans at Mothewell about them signing him you pair would say no.

not like that is ever going to happen.:proud:

At the end of the day, Boydy's job was to score goals... and he delivered. Job done in my eyes!

As far as i'm concerned, i'll be sad to see him go. I've also heard rumours Bougherra's going to Galatasaray.... if that's the case i hope we can keep a hold of Wilson.

Back