Virgin Media UK to Launch 500Mbps Broadband in Spring 2019

the BIG question is will anyone get that speed because all reports on any of the speed services are incorrect they never get what they say, I'm on 200mb but most I can get a 95mb, and you get capeded at peak times

the BIG question is will anyone get that speed because all reports on any of the speed services are incorrect they never get what they say, I'm on 200mb but most I can get a 95mb, and you get capeded at peak times

Alway get what speed i pay for mate just 200mb at the mo. I thought they had done away with caps ?

You sure all your kit is gigabit ? Switches etc as if not you wont break 100mb

Same here on 350mb i actually get around 365mb and never slowed down or capped. and i do literally TB's a month off NG's.

Personally i would say anyone not getting those speeds are in over subscribed areas. Which is the most common cause espically when the kids get home from school

are you connected to hub at 100mb/s or 1GB - if you are getting 95 then looks like its only 100MB connection

I am on VM 350 and get 350MB/sec - I have a 1GB switch connected to a pfsense firewall with 1GB NICS

@jfish

how do I check how I'm connected to the hub m8100mb/s or 1gb I also forgot to add that speed is wifi 5ghz from mobile done get have that on laptop

Alway get what speed i pay for mate just 200mb at the mo. I thought they had done away with caps ?

You sure all your kit is gigabit ? Switches etc as if not you wont break 100mb

I have a tp-link archer c9 router which supports 5ghz and 2.4ghz most devices are wireless, just TV in bedroom is via homeplug as it don't have wifi.

You'll get slower speeds on WiFi, it's the nature of the beast. 500Mbps is great, but with ISPs now offering 1Gbps (Talk Talk/Vodafone) they need to up their game further, and their equipment is poor imo. I've moved to BT Fibre, 150Mbps and I get that all across my house and half way across the street. Once the 1Gbps service becomes available in my area, then I will be moving to that as well.

Virgin customer here and pay for 200mb and most oftern 210mbs or greater.

Do people really need that speed though?
I remember not that long ago when vermin were screaming from mountain tops that 50mbps was fastest in UK.
People were saying “do we need that speed”
(reminds me when 2GB SD cards for phones were plenty). 😂
Looking at it now many would struggle with 50mbps.
Things moving so bloody quick nowadays. We dont watch TV the way we did as early as 10 years ago.
With netflix, amazon prime, youtube and so many more, we will always need faster internet.
Were always looking the best we can get, for talk sake......
Home from work, kids homework done. Kids go to be bed and watch a movie in 4K, yourself and ms put a movie on in livingroom also in 4K.
(thats when problems start)

Wont be to long before 8K will be on our screens to enjoy.
So 50mbps is out the window.

Dont really see 500mbps being big benefit to house holds now, but vermin are sticking to there plans and pushing speeds up. Along with there prices.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will all get a free upgrade followed a couple of month later with a price increase 😁

Best do after their price increase! I'm guilty of it myself but I know people who are still hanging around on obsolete packages and could be paying less if they phone up for a new plan and subscription.

Is it your own router @Napster? Look the WAN speed capability up online if it's an older router, I was using one for ages before I realised it was limiting my download after a speed upgrade. Is that 95Mb limit not caused by some network component being 100Mb?

I think speed tests can be influenced by a few more things in software but I didn't get to the bottom of it.

Not sure about the 383.65Mb it might be the maximum but I don't know what the real capacity is, it might be in the modem management page. I'm in a reasonably high density area. After reading the full link in the OP I tink that is their "over provisioning", network capacity allowing.

No complaints again speed as it should be

Cool. I'm switching to Virgin this year. Look forward to this!

Best do after their price increase! I'm guilty of it myself but I know people who are still hanging around on obsolete packages and could be paying less if they phone up for a new plan and subscription.

Im doomed on that front as they know BT is not fibre in my area and can only offer me 5mbps :eek:

I have to pay full price they know im not cancelling .

A lot of the speed depends on the equipment that the line is connected to.

When I first got 300mbps (later 350mbps) I had an older Asus router (I never use the virgin kit as anything other than a modem) and it could not handle the sustained speed. Also it had older wifi tech so could only handle 150mbps wifi.

I upgraded to an Asus RT-AC88U gaming router which can handle up to 3100 mbps on wifi and god knows what hard wired. Plus it's got the internals to handle the sustained throughput I need for almost constant download.

Having said that the mrs laptop still has a 150mbps wifi adapter.

I can get around 360mbps on my Samsung phone using 5g but a lot slower using 2.4g.

80% of the kit i use (several pc's and a couple of laptops, plus huge CCTV system) is all wired for the best speed/connection.

If the Virgin superhub can handle the 500mbps in modem mode then I'm in for sure.

Back