Virgin Media IP address

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi does anybody have any idea how to get a different ip from virgin media ? (i don't pay for a static ip)

i think i have had my ip for nearly 2 years, since i got my cisco modem (replacement for psu blew on the old one)

when we last went on holiday earlier in the year i turned off everything for a 10 days and when i checked my router it still had the same ip.

also nights i/we are not downloading anything the modem is switched off.

i know virgin say ip's aren't static but in all honesty they appear to be.

is the only way to ring Jeremy or Alice in bombay and try and get them off script to force the ip change ?

Change the router MAC address, there is usually a setting to spoof one.

It's usually "Kirsty" when I get one :).

You can get a new ip by changing the mac address on the router have a nosey in the setting page, what router you got?

Edit: Spectre beat me to it. :eatarrow:

mmmm my setup is cisco 2100 modem into a smoothwall firewall/router then 1 output to a 24 port switch for wired and the other output to a wireless router for our wireless devices.

just had a quick look and i don't think the smoothwall lets you change the mac address, all the menus i looked at the mac addys was greyed out.

however whilst typing this i have just realised all i need to do is swap the network card in the router to the modem and the mac add will change and virgin will think its a new device..... doh !

thanks guys

Hi does anybody have any idea how to get a different ip from virgin media ? (i don't pay for a static ip)

i think i have had my ip for nearly 2 years, since i got my cisco modem (replacement for psu blew on the old one)

when we last went on holiday earlier in the year i turned off everything for a 10 days and when i checked my router it still had the same ip.

also nights i/we are not downloading anything the modem is switched off.

i know virgin say ip's aren't static but in all honesty they appear to be.

is the only way to ring Jeremy or Alice in bombay and try and get them off script to force the ip change ?

I'm not sure but i think you have a misinterpretation here.

your vermin IP will change (dynamic) but the IP of your computer, will remain the same.

solving this can be a simple as clearing the IP via dos/cmd, leaving the comp off for a short time (allowing the IP to be reassigned).
or by using the method suggested by other posters.
maybe this will help:
How do I change my IP address?

Last edited:
SMAC MAC Address Changer - CNET Download.com

I've got the cracked version of this somewhere it can change the mac of the network card in your pc, this what they used to use to bump up your speed on vermin, The good old day's

You need to change the MAC address of the modem / router not the PC. Looking at the VM forums, this question has come up many times and the simplest thing is to leave your modem off for 24 hours but if local segment is not heavily loaded then its quite possible that your addressed will just be the same (DHCP servers normally do this).

A quick reboot of mine usually gets the same IP and in the past powering off overnight/24hours usually meant a new IP.

Weirdly, i was away for 4 days in May and turned into my Grandad and turned everything off while i was away - came back, powered up, same IP. Maybe everyone in my area has jumped to sky so there's lots of free addresses!

yes mac address of the red interface of the linux pc running firewall/router smoothwall is what i need to change.

the smac program is a windows program, so that will not work.

the smoothwall pc has 3 network cards so i will just ring the changes and swap around the interfaces to present virgin with a different mac add/card.

Back