Virgin 20mb rollout schedule

Does anyone know offhand if the SB4100 can handle 20MB? Just wondering...

Thanks gentlex. At least I know my modem can cope if VM ever get around to upgrading my area!

Does anyone have a London MAC? I am willing to swap/buy/trade/beg!

Mine is the Bromley platform (cur1-lewi8-0-0-cust55.bmly.cable.ntl.com ).

Do PM me... pleasssssee!! (hotmail: [email protected])

Last edited:
Does anyone have a London MAC? I am willing to swap/buy/trade/beg!

Mine is the Bromley platform (cur1-lewi8-0-0-cust55.bmly.cable.ntl.com ).

Do PM me... pleasssssee!! (hotmail: [email protected])

this is the wrong section for asking for macs. there is a mac trade section in the stickies at the top of the cable modem section.

Does anyone know offhand if the SB4100 can handle 20MB? Just wondering...

Strange one this !

On paper this modem should be able to handle 20Meg easily but TW replaced mine as soon as we went to 20Meg saying that they couldn't handle the continuous throughput. Apparently they would start off at 20Meg and fall back to about 11-12Meg in a few seconds.

So, they took my nice Moto brick away and replaced it with a very cheap looking Webstar 2100. Must admit it does seem to work better though.

The newsgroups have loads of people requesting modem replacements and the VM modem suitability website also recommends that people on 20Meg get their 4100's replaced.

Strange one this !

On paper this modem should be able to handle 20Meg easily but TW replaced mine as soon as we went to 20Meg saying that they couldn't handle the continuous throughput. Apparently they would start off at 20Meg and fall back to about 11-12Meg in a few seconds.

So, they took my nice Moto brick away and replaced it with a very cheap looking Webstar 2100. Must admit it does seem to work better though.

The newsgroups have loads of people requesting modem replacements and the VM modem suitability website also recommends that people on 20Meg get their 4100's replaced.

just tested this theory out, and its bullshit.

just kept a steady 2750KB/s download on newsgroups for 1hr, so the 4100 can handle 20mb no problem. the only problem with the speed drop is when virgin do there crappy traffic shaping sh1t.

just tested this theory out, and its bullshit.

just kept a steady 2750KB/s download on newsgroups for 1hr, so the 4100 can handle 20mb no problem. the only problem with the speed drop is when virgin do there crappy traffic shaping sh1t.

Maybe there's multiple versions or maybe you were just lucky but just look at the VM newsgroups and then follow VM's advice page. They wouldn't be replacing a whole series of modems if there wasn't a problem with them !

All I can say is that my 4100 couldn't handle the throughput and, like many other people, it had to be replaced before I could maintain a nice 20Meg link. Since moving over to the Webstar I can download continuously for many hours at a time with 2400Kbyte/Sec (until stm kicks in of course)

if there was a problem with this modem, im sure it would be posted all over this forum too. as far as im aware a number of members of this forum use these modems with no problems what so ever.
me included

Must admit, at least some of the 4100's do seem to have probelms with throughput. The tests I conducted seemed to indicate that the modem couldn't maintain a full 20Meg on a single stream or when more than 16 streams were being used simultaneously. Best throughput seemed to be around 4-7 simultaneous streams.

There also seems to be some compatability problem with certain routers and this modem. I dont know what the problem is just that it doesn't work properly !

The 4200 seems to be much more consistant and seems to handle upto 32 simultaneous streams without problem. Also seems to work fine with the routers that have a problem on the 4100.

In both cases, these were subbed modems using the standard firmware as issued in TW areas.

edit: The link below guides you in deciding if you need a new modem. If you select the XL service (20Meg) and then the SB4100 modem with ethernet connection then the advice is clearly to get yourself an upgrade.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

Last edited:
anyone know if wigan as been upgraded yet its not on the list but ive read its been done im using a 20mb mac on my ambit but im still on 10mb, thanks
if thats the result of ur speedtest then ur r on 20mb m8 only 20mb give u more than 512kb/s upload speed except for tw bussiness config which is 10mb down /769kb upload

hi is it just me p*ssd off (sorry) but carnt wait for 20mb still not got it and wont till at least next month evan though ive been paying the extra for the last 3 months for 20mb but still on my 10mb, but that only gets 6.5mb as it is. anyone else feeling like this? why do we have to wait so long? i know it cant be done over night but

Back