Viewing a house tomorrow

I finally managed to view the property today during the day and it wasnt a pretty sight and to top it off the smell of the house was disgusting. The structure of the property looked fine but apart from that everything else will need stripping out and doing again, like new kitchen,new bathroom, new central heating, wall paper needs stripping through out and a new roof. I also managed to talk to a couple people on the road and ive found out that a person was dead in the house for up to three months which is why the whole place stank and the reason for the big dark stain on the carpet in one of the bedrooms. :eek: i am currently deciding weather to put an offer in or just walk away knowing the place could be haunted. The poor bloke who use to live in the house never did anything to it for 30 years.
One part of me is saying put an offer in and snother part im thinking just to walk away as I could potentially find it difficult to sell if people find out about the house history.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I finally managed to view the property today during the day and it wasnt a pretty sight and to top it off the smell of the house was disgusting. The structure of the property looked fine but apart from that everything else will need stripping out and doing again, like new kitchen,new bathroom, new central heating, wall paper needs stripping through out and a new roof. I also managed to talk to a couple people on the road and ive found out that a person was dead in the house for up to three months which is why the whole place stank and the reason for the big dark stain on the carpet in one of the bedrooms. :eek: i am currently deciding weather to put an offer in or just walk away knowing the place could be haunted. The poor bloke who use to live in the house never did anything to it for 30 years.
One part of me is saying put an offer in and snother part im thinking just to walk away as I could potentially find it difficult to sell if people find out about the house history.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Go with your gut m8,not your heart ;)

stick in an offer for £150k, worst they can say is no. You should be able to pretty good re-build for £60k

Just stick a low offer in but obviously not a ridiculously low offer and as oneman mentioned you can use a nice chunk of cash getting it to exactly how YOU want it. You'll be starting from scratch so have a blank canvas so to speak. A lot of people move into a house that hardly needs anything doing but still end up spending thousands to put there stamp on there new home.

Sounds like there's a lot to do. I'd price up what you would do and base an offer accordingly.

The history simply explains things and I don't believe in haunting and I don't think future selling opportunities will be affected if it looks the part.

That said, @wiz569 summed it up in a short sentence, basically if you don't feel comfortable then move on :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being funny but after being empty for 30 years I would expect a lot of damp, some plaster falling off the walls or ceiling, probably birds in the loft etc etc. yes the old dear snuffed it in the bedroom adds to the history of the house, the smell will go away once you take the carpet up and strip the walls etc.

Go for it at £200k if its 1920's the walls will be solid so no wall ties will be needed, roof from front looks sound enough even looks like the stack has been pointed and the pebble dash is all seemingly in tact no cracks etc so no house movement.

Good luck it looks like it will make a nice home.

as others have stated your offer should be really low. it doesn`t really matter that next door is worth 280, its what a completely knackered house that had a dead body in it for months is worth. you`ll probably be looking at new floor boards to get rid of the stench in that room. i`d be looking at 150-180 max.
what you gotta ask yourself is how many people will be willing to take it on and do the work ? start low and you can always go up.
good luck mate

Back