UsbExtreme

pburns

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have back up image of Pro Evo Soccer 2008 (from usenext) in mdf format I have mounted it with UltraISO and copied to the Hdd with the UsbExtreme software, it shows up on the drive on PS2 but when I select it to play it dosn't load.
Other Games I've backed up from disks play, anyone know what the prob could be?

Thanx.

this may help you from the hardrive advance forum by ddetkowski:

http://forum.hdadvance.com/modules/...305077&topic_id=23679&forum=1#forumpost305077
Re: USB Extreme user. Not compatible with most games ??????
Problem with USB Extreme? Look here for answers!
First off, I am writing this to help others since many users apparently have trouble getting games to work.

I just bought a slim PS2 and USB Extreme after reading about it online. I am a technical guy, so I figured $30 to play backed up ISO images was a fair price. Got myself a USB2 enclosure, popped in a Western Digital 120 GB drive, and got to work.

*** Important Note ***
I spent days trying to get games to work, games that were listed as working with no luck at all, just a black screen. Good news is that I found the problem. The Windows based USB Extreme software is no good. Stick with the DOS based software, and you will have no more problems....

*** Game Compatibility List ***
Use: http://jaydium.servehttp.com/usbextreme/gamelist.php

Getting Started:

1. The first step is to fire up the Windows XP Disk Manager, and partition your entire USB drive as an NTFS partition. (Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Select Disk Management on the left tree menu) You want to make this partition a Primary partition, not a logical partition. Note the drive letter given to your partition, you need that later.

2. Download the DOS tools here (http://www.hdadvance.com/download/USBeXtreme.zip) and unzip the files to your C:\. (Yes, right at C:\, makes it easier.)

3. Now we need to prepare your hard drive by formatting it with the DOS based USBExtreme ul_format.exe. Simply click Start --> Run --> Type "cmd" --> Click OK to open a DOS prompt. Now type: cd c:\ followed by the enter key. Now we will format your USB drive. Type: ul_format.exe _DRIVE_LETTER_ FORMAT, where you replace _DRIVE_LETTER_ with the letter of your drive. Say when I partitioned, my drive had been labelled H:, I would type this: ul_format.exe H FORMAT and press enter. When your drive has formatted, you are ready for the next step.

4. We can now install our first game, granted you have an ISO image ready to go. Start by mounting your ISO with your favourite ISO mounting utility (Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, etc...). After mounting your drive, return to the DOS prompt and get to the C:\ again. Now you can install your game. Type: ul_install.exe _SOURCE_DRIVE_ _TARGET_DRIVE "GAME NAME" DVD/CD. Lets say for instance, that my ISO is "Final Fantasy X", and I know that it is over 700MB, so it is a DVD. Drive H is my USB Hard Drive, and Drive E is my ISO mounter's drive name. My command would be: ul_install.exe E H "Final Fantasy X" DVD. Simply press enter and wait for the ISO to write to your drive.

5. Now that you have installed a game, remember to use Window XP's Removable hardware utility to disconnect your drive.

6. Try out your new game! With the PS2 and USB Drive off, plug the USB drive into the PS2. Power on the drive, then power on the PS2. After 15 seconds or so you should be looking at your games list. If you see nothing, just a format drive option, simply power off the PS2, power off the hard drive, and try again in the same order. 75% of the time, I have to boot twice to get the games list to show.

*** Closing Notes ***

I hope this guide will help some people, as my first time around, I loaded 5 games via the Windows utility, and was going balistic trying to get the whole setup working properly. Stick with the DOS version, and you will be fine. Enjoy!

I now have a list of about 10 games installed, and the all play perfectly. The only issue is choppy FMV sequences, due to the USB bandwidth. If you can get over the odd choppy video sequence, you will have a great time.

Back