Upgrade BT 512k BroadBand to 1mb

Randomist

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is only relavent for people using BT's 512kb BroadBand for over 12 months.

Basically you can upgrade your current 512kb connection to 1mb for free.
this isn't something that they advertise but only offer this option when you ask for you migration code (MAC) because you want to leave them.

at present im using BT as my isp, paying £25 for 512kbs line! : shocked2
i called them up earlier on asking them for my migration code because i was planning on leaving them.

i spoke to a women on the phone who asked me a few questions on why i wanted to leave, so i told her that there were cheaper BB providers available who offered 1mb for a cheaper price then what i was paying for 512kb. (Mentioned Supanet!)

to my shock, she then offered to upgrade me to a 1mb line for free!
so now im still paying £25 but get a 1mb connection instead of 512kb.

There is one problem with this, there is a 30Gb limit on the 1mb line.
30gb hopefully should be enough for now.

what im trying to say is, if you are using BT 512kb broadband, and have been doing so for more then 12 months, then call them up, pretend you are leaving them and they should upgrade you to 1mb!!

they said it will take 7 days for the 1mb connection to kick in.
I cant wait! :)

It's true there is a limit of 30Gig per month - but as of January 512k gets a 15Gig monthly limit.

I upgraded from 512k to 1M with BT because there were some issues with line quality (not length) but if you have been with them for 12 months then you are only tied in for another three months after that. If not you are tied in until the end of your original 12 months or three months, which ever is greater. My upgrade cost me nothing as I had been with them for over the 12 months BUT I did not have to threaten to leave.

My intention is to migrate once the three months is up, unless BT can get me 2M by then.

A point worth mentioning to anyone thinking of migrating. Currently you can only migrate at the same connection speed. If you wish to migrate and upgrade you are then faced with migrating at your current speed and then paying for the upgrade with your new ISP.

yep ive done the same as u spike couldnt make my mind up on a new isp so i upgraded my bt 512 to 1mb and am planning to migrate after 3 months

Have you ran a check to see if your line can actually take anymore than a 1mb connection as mines can't.
I made enquries about the 4mb connection and when I ran the check they offered I discovered my line is not compatible for anythig above 1.1mb.

Go to T*lewest m8 all our 512 were upgraded to 1m without asking, no limit and a very good service, about the same price as well :)

i have been with bt for well over 12 months now, and i did ask them if i am bound by another 12 months when i upgrade to 1mb.

i was told that i was not signing any new contract and that i can cancel my line with them at any point that i want. All i have to give is 7 days notice.

This is brillient news for me because i just found out today that ntl broadband has just come into my street, now i might consider moving to them. But need to do some more research on them first!

Back