UPC Ireland encryption change !

nozzer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
An interesting interview with the head of UPC in Ireland.

http://60hud.com/audio/theendisnear.mp3

I thought UPC used the same boxes as VM so, How can they make the claim of swapping the cards? I thought these boxes can't handle anything except Nagra 1?

I thought UPC used the same boxes as VM so, How can they make the claim of swapping the cards? I thought these boxes can't handle anything except Nagra 1?

they can handle n2 think they just need a software update sure i seen post on it here before the likes of dreambox will work for n2 not sure about the othere ones

The boxes will handle whatever encryption the firmware writers decide to put on them. The cam interface is effectively nothing more than a standard Phoenix - its just down to the firmware to give it a function.

N2 is little different from N1 in terms of cam requirements.

The hard part may be persuading the likes of Pace to write new firmware for the older boxes but with the recession I can see them doing anything for a few quid !

Last edited:
From what i've heard from family UPC have been changing over the Pace 4010 and the older DI300 to the new boxes over the last 8 months or so. They also have the DC221KN which is a neat little box, probably only out for a couple of years at most so would presume compatable with Nagra2? Looks like they will be rolling new cards there soon then-I wonder how long the N2 will be before rolling here afterwards as it seemed like a tester over there originally? And how long before this is cracked-is it that much harder to do than N1? I know they use Rom110 revA07 I think at mo.

@nozzer

Was messing around on my dbox earlier through telnet anyhoo when I restarted the cam I got the following which is quite normal except for the extra CaID process,not sure which one is the new one but was definately only two there the other day,I also noticed this earlier in the day when it also was saying something about looking for Nagra 3 keys although as you can see its stopped that now.
Any idea's lads.Bear in mind I am in Dublin and supposed to be switching to N2 in the new year,could this be a N3 test process.

Telnet.jpg

i thought nagra 2 was already cracked??

also do this mean that shortly afterwards it'll be coming across mainland? thise things do tend to hit ireland first and then the rest of us :(

i thought nagra 2 was already cracked??

it is but supposedly upc are using nagra 3

also do this mean that shortly afterwards it'll be coming across mainland? thise things do tend to hit ireland first and then the rest of us :(

VM are planning on changing encryption in 2009-2010, most likely to n3.

UPC have been testing nagra 3 in the stream in Dublin and Waterford since the end of september i would not be suprised if the card change is to run nagra 3 on the older boxs and nagra 2 on there dvr and replacement boxs. Nagra 2 is already a comprimised encryption so nagra 3 seems to be the only option for upc and the other cable providers.especially since uncle rupert is already puting the squeeze on them and probably funding them if the truth is known.

I take it the sagem boxes are only able to do nagra1. With a card change they will do nagra2.

But a friend of mine was told that their box was to be upgraded in the next few weeks to the DVR box as part of their continued upgrade program in C*rk. If this is true then is Nagra3 the going to happen within the next 6 months ( on a phased basis)

yes everything will be happening on a phased basis now has anyone on chorus mmds got a pvr?i dont know of anyone that does and would beinterested to see what the setup would be for chorus mmds if they are using nagra 3 on mmds they cant even get the same channel line up on chorus mmds as on cable as it is

MMDS is all nagra 1 as and from today no pvr no dvr. all new customers as of today get a nagra 1 card and a sagem box just like the freeview box they use in uk.

Chorus MMDS uses the DVB-T transmission system.
UPC have no PVR designed for that system .
Are Nagra 2 or 3 streams being transmitted on Chorus MMDs at the moment or is it just cable ?

I believe there has been limited N3 testing on MMDS so I'd say its going to be coming sooner or later.

fano said:
Chorus MMDS uses the DVB-T transmission system.
UPC have no PVR designed for that system

Its not too difficult for the stb suppliers to modify the present pvr boxes to work on MMDS if thats what UPC ask them for.

Last edited:
Back