Unable to format new 80gb Seagate Sata drive (VIA PT880 Pro)

Belfast

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been unable to format a new Seagate 80gb Sata drive (Model Number ST380211AS )

I set the jumper to 1.5 SATA I as thats all this board supports.

During an XP install I get "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged".

if I boot back into my win2k partition and I use Seatools (diagnostic utility from Seagate) the physical inspection of the HDD gets a PASSED.

I have seen rumors of the VIA PT880 Pro chipset having problems with SATA

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Asrock 775Dual-VSTA

> Chipset : VIA PT880 Pro

> Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2133 MHz

> Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )

> Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon X1950 Pro

> Hard Disk : IC35L040AVVA07-0 (41 GB)

> Hard Disk : ST380211 (80 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW DW-D22A

> Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (November 2006)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***** End of report *****

Anyone had similar probs with this chipset ?
It's got to be a popular as it's one of the cheapest CORE2 Duo boards around and it Supports Dual Channel DDRII and DDR400

cheers
belfast

Hard drive

I have had the same issue before and it was a failed hard disk. Like yours it passed the diagnostic tests but windows just wouldn't see it.

Windows xp will see a 80gb sata drive no matter what u set the jumper at. So you should be getting that all fro free. Just ensure that it's not a faulty sata cable and then return the drive.

Cheers Warmy,

Im going to take the drive intowork tomorrow and try formatting on another machine before i RMA it..... just incase it is my bios/chipset/board.

thanks

Back