U2 SONG IS BEST ONE EVER (wwohooooo)

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
U2's bittersweet meditation on love, One, has been named the greatest song ever recorded.

Music experts placed the tune, which had only a brief and unremarkable spell in the charts, above efforts by Elvis and The Beatles.
It topped the list in a special edition of respected music magazine Q honouring the 1001 Best Songs Ever.
U2 guitarist The Edge said: "When we named it, I always knew it would be number one at something."
The song was recorded at the tail end of 1990, roughly halfway through the band's - so far - quarter century career, as they tried to reinvent themselves with the Achtung Baby album.
The band, yearning to leave behind the earnest flag-waving of old had headed to the Berlin studios where David Bowie recorded Heroes.
"We all went out into the big recording room - a huge, eerie ballroom full of ghosts of the war - and everything fell into place," The Edge told the Q special.
The song - which peaked at number seven in the chart and managed just six weeks in the top 75 - is a favourite at weddings and was recorded to dramatic effect by the late Johnny Cash.

Beatles: Down at No 4

Q's writers and a selection of well-known musicians cast their votes for the list of great songs.
Runner-up was Aretha Franklin's I Say A Little Prayer, written by the renowned songwriting partnership Bacharach and David.
Nirvana came third with Smells Like Teen Spirit, the rock anthem which briefly made them possibly the world's biggest band.
And The Beatles' epic production A Day In The Life - a segue of a Lennon tune connected to a McCartney track with the aid of producer George Martin's euphoric string arrangement - was fourth.

The Fab Four have seven other tracks in the top 1001, including Something, In My Life and Paperback Writer.

Radiohead have the highest number of entries in the list with nine songs - the highest, Creep, at number seven.

Editor in chief of the special edition, Paul Trynka, said: "Our writers and experts weren't asked to name the most historic songs of all time - rather it was the songs they enjoy hearing; songs you can use every day, whether that be on your Walkman or your brand new iPod."

Sorry zoo, I know you're a fan, but that selection is a load of bollocks.

:grayno: :grayno: :grayno:

I'm with narabdela on that. I've always found that "well-known musicians" have the weirdest of tastes and to call anything 'The greatest ever' based on their votes is totally stupid!!

im with you lot too,even though im a massive u2 fan to call this song the best ever is a bit silly...... :Bounce:

Gets even worse when u see the actual top 10 songs.....

TOP TEN BEST SONGS EVER

Here's the list of Top ten songs in Q's 1001 Best Songs Ever:

1. One - U2

2. I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin

3. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

4. A Day In The Life - The Beatles

5. In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley

6. My Name Is - Eminem

7. Creep - Radiohead

8. Independent Women Part 1 - Destiny's Child

9. Live Forever - Oasis

10. River Deep Mountain High - Ike and Tina Turner

Eminem? ! ? wasn't even the best song of the day it was released - actually, I don't think it was released........ just escaped

"A Day in the Life" is the only one there that would make it into my top ten. Might be an idea to vote on a Digital World top ten.

good idea narabdela should make for some interesting reading as long as people actually think about it before posting, and u know we will all want to change our selection after seeing other members posts

Back