[Tutorial] All Newbies start here!!

madmunky

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gav12345 has just posted a "get up and running" guide which is perfect (if only he posted it yesterday morning) I've just read it though and its really well done there really is no excuse for any newbie to not be able to get a img file up and running on there dbox and scan for channels.

[Tutorial] to get you up and running

Just one note gav, on your guide and most guides it seems when they talk about loading the img via IFA its actually alot quicker over cat5 than serial i've found now, but when you load the image and and click to send as soon as the window reports "file sent" you click ok on the open window and the flash is complete. So with a network cable it takes around 1min to reload the box with a new image :p as soon as u click ok after the img is sent to the box the box takes around 30secs to load it then reports "Flashing Done" (Thats on my Seg box anyway)

Grate tutorial and I hope everyone reads it

Sorry Mate, I must correct you again...

Nothing is flashed serial in any case...

Ifa and DBox Boot Manager use a so called TFTP Boot Server that enables evryone without knowing the IP of the DBox (or having Kein System) to flash the box without to worry about IP Address, FTP Client, Username and Password.

As with every flashing method you need to make sure that your PC Network is prepared correctely or nothing will work.

The FTP Method or even the Webinterface is the easiest as you only need to worry about the XP Firewall (if..)

The Ifa or DBoxBootmanager has more hurdeles especially if your PC is loaded with every kind of antivirus soft and firewalls...

Best and easiest method is a Image Update via Internet but who will offer Webspace for Images so you can just download them and flash them without even getting up (apart from picking up the remote)

So,

make your pick....

no

had me going abit there flashing with a serial lead , ithought i was going a bit maaad . lol until i read pt-1 post:FRIGHT:

Actually....

It is possible to flash a dbox with only a serial cable!

I haven't tried it myself but here's a guide if anyone wants try it!

It used to be in the download section but can't find it anymore!

Last edited:
My bad! :)

I dunno why people report a flash taking 10mins or so, mine doesnt it in under a minute i would say.

2x flash will take about 2 minutes but 1x flash can take quite a bit longer! I've waited about 5 minutes before...nearly turned it off before it finished...lol!

I could also list that you can actually boot a Dbox from Network without flashing the Image....

And soon you will be able to boot from the built in HDD....

To be honest I never tried the serial solution but there are so many out there..

it was liams but kept on asking for password so i just upped on my pc then uploaded it on here so the credit goes to liam and the credit for uploading it from me

cheers

Back