trying to install a new hdd

derek12345

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have put a new hdd in my computer when i turn on computer it said found new hardware (etc) when i go to computer/hardware/device manager it says
This device is working properly. but if i go to my computer there is no icon for the new drive its as if it is not on my computer how can i fix this

wot motherboard is it ?

asus a7n8x ?

abit nf7 ?

are u installing a sata or ide drive as the nforce2 chipset has sata ports

i had an nforce2 board and ran raid 0 with 2 x 250gb drives

are using xp sp1 and later? - if u dont know then open windows explorer and click on help - then about windows

Appologies. It's strange that it doesn't report a more accurate name than nvidia-nforce2. As you can see on the gigabyte website there are eight NF2 Ultra400 chipset boards: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Products

Does the POST screen show the motherboard model at all? Failing that it should be printed onto the motherboard somewhere (start looking near the AGP port).
are u installing a sata or ide drive as the nforce2 chipset has sata ports

i had an nforce2 board and ran raid 0 with 2 x 250gb drives

are using xp sp1 and later? - if u dont know then open windows explorer and click on help - then about windows
Both hard drives are IDE according to google.

The pre-SP1 issue would only see upto hard drive capacities of 137Gb. But it is worth checking anyway: start > run > winver or [winkey]+[Pause|Break] are other methods of finding out the service pack.

sorry lads dont know much about computers just opened up computer and it says GA 7N400 on motherboard hope that helps

Take the drive out the PC, and check that the jumber arnt set to some sort of capicity liming setting (There will be pictures and the sort on the drive)

Its weird that its been detected i'd try it in another computer and see if it does the same problem , could be a weird mess up at the factory i suppose. Quick google didnt bring up any common porblems either.

sorry lads dont know much about computers just opened up computer and it says GA 7N400 on motherboard hope that helps

Spot on. Grab the F11 BIOS and latest drivers from here: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-7N400 Take heed of the warning at the bottom of the BIOS page:
Warning:
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

Do check the jumper settings though. The 'jumper' pins are the headers between the IDE and 4 pin power connector:

The correct connection settings will be the printed on the sticker or stamped into the casing.

Last edited:
think this is going way over my head dont want to f**k up my computer
not very good with computers

thanks for all your help but im probably better just sticking with 2 160gb hdd than nothing

think this is going way over my head dont want to f**k up my computer
not very good with computers

thanks for all your help but im probably better just sticking with 2 160gb hdd than nothing

Honest pal stay with it, the link given by Pob looks confusing purely as they have written it that way, in reality it is simple.

The beauty of the web install is that it won't allow you to continue with a bad install anyway, so print out the instructions off the link, and go for it !

Messa

i dont think the mobo supports over 160gb on the ide drives

saying that he would have no problem at all if he were using a linux os

i know with the a7n8x nf2 400 chipset that it supported max of 160gb ide and a lot more with sata

not really

he could quite easily clip something and unplug something then spend hours trying to work out why it aint working

don't take too much offence. but if the above is the case, should you really be messin with it at

no offence taken but i take it when you were born you just knew about computer straight away didnt have to learn i knew nothing about dbox's when i joined this forum but with a little help i can now flash them, ftp them, add keys etc,

by all means spend time learning

but i think what he is saying is if anything goes wrong then your going to come on here and start pointing fingers cos u dont know what your doing

like i said its going way above my head with bios now i will quit and stick with 160 gb which i didnt have till i got shown how on here

@BIOS

it is very simple

the auto update is 99% accurate and it was designed to sop the public flashing incorrect bios's

once complete restart computer and it should so the bios date and string bottom of the post screen - compare that to new bios flashed bingo !

Back