trying to install a new hdd

derek12345

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have put a new hdd in my computer when i turn on computer it said found new hardware (etc) when i go to computer/hardware/device manager it says
This device is working properly. but if i go to my computer there is no icon for the new drive its as if it is not on my computer how can i fix this

could that be it as it is a 320gb drive im trying to install thought that was the same drive as above dont want to delete it as my windows is on it

That will be it m8..just right click on it and assign a drive letter ie D or E anything but C lol,

then it will show up when you click on computer.

:Cheers:

done that it now comes up as my d drive i formatted it and it comes up as 149gb it should be 320gb is there anyway of getting 320gb

what sp level is winxp at on your system too, with xp no sp there was issue with larger drives

checked the jumpers 1 master 1 slave both hdd show up 160 gb in bios but onlt 149 on computer
Have opu flashed it with the latest BIOS
not sure what this means
what sp level is winxp at on your system too, with xp no sp there was issue with larger drives

do you mean service pack 3 on my disc but it is a copied disc

Sounds like your motherboards bios needs updating for it to accept larger drives.

Check out the makers web site to see if there an updated bios. Your bios should always tell you the proper drive size. If it doesnt then there is summat wrong, or it's too old.

checked the jumpers 1 master 1 slave both hdd show up 160 gb in bios but onlt 149 on computer not sure what this means

do you mean service pack 3 on my disc but it is a copied disc

I am confused now to be honest, you initially said you were installing a 320gb drive but you have since said it is a 160gb drive.

If it is in fact a 160gb drive then that will only show up as a 149gb of free space in windows, that is totally 100% normal.

The larger the drive the larger the space 'lost' compared to the sticker size.

See here....

Understanding Hard Disk Drive Sizes

Hope this helps (your system is actually ok !)

:)

you initially said you were installing a 320gb drive but you have since said it is a 160gb drive

no i am trying to install a 320gb hdd but it is only showing up in bios as 160gb i know it is 320 as i took it from another computer i have the original hdd 160gb on the computer and im trying to add the 320gb as a second hdd

no i am trying to install a 320gb hdd but it is only showing up in bios as 160gb i know it is 320 as i took it from another computer i have the original hdd 160gb on the computer and im trying to add the 320gb as a second hdd

Ah ok pal with you now.

Have you got the model number of you motherboard so we can check if it has support for large drives pls ?

is this what u need

Main Circuit Board b
2.07 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. nVidia-nForce2 1.x
Bus Clock: 167 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F1 06/17/2003

also noticed this

Drives Memory Modules c,d
320.08 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
268.19 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
so my hdd is bigger than i thought it must be limited

Either you've not copied the info needed or Belarc wasn't able to report it. Give CPU-Z a go - once running check the 'mainboard' tab and copy here the model and revision numbers.

320.08 is the capacity of the partitions of the C and D drives added together. However, on googling the model number for the maxtor it should be a 320GB drive in its self.

Have you checked the jumper settings and cabling on the drives? Boot drive (C:\) should be the primary drive on the primary IDE channel (often labeled on the motherboard as either IDE0 or IDE1), Storage (D:\) should be slave on primary IDE. Avoid using cable select, instead know that the primary device is always furthest from the motherboard and the longer tail of the cable is the end that plugs into the motherboard, i.e.
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Back