Linux Try Linux

aqquino

Inactive User
Reaction score
I want to approach the world linux. Which version do you recommend to install to try?
Thank You

Many versions are available as a Live CD so you can try them out without wiping your PC first. Ubuntu is usually the most friendly for newbies!

In order to fully appreciate Linux, you need to get some command line experience (i.e. using the Bash shell). After getting Ubuntu, I'd recommend trying the following:

Learn how to connect to your WiFi router using the terminal, and then browse the web from the terminal, using a program like w3m. This will teach you

a.) A GUI isn't required to operate a computer
b.) If you screw something up in Linux, you can still connect to your WiFi and use the internet to help find a solution. People sometimes inadvertently break their GUI on Linux, think their OS is broke, give up and go back to using Windows, hence the advice. You don't need to go down this path!

Then I'd recommend playing around with SSH, i.e. setup SSH on another computer in your home (or a virtual machine), and try to setup an Apache web server and host a webpage.

Why am I telling you this? If you want to use Linux how you're using Windows, then just stick to Windows! Learning and understanding Linux will free your mind, i.e. you'll begin to understand how to use a computer the way YOU want to use it, not how Microsoft or Apple think you should use a computer. It's the first step to leaving the Matrix.

Google for "linux administration commands" or something to get you started.

Lol, scare everyone off why don't ya?

You can use Linux like Windows and you can use Windows like Linux. Both have powerful command lines.

If you are used to Windows 7 then Linux Mint Cinnamon is not too big of a jump. You have to get used to a bit of terminology like mount points instead of drive letters but the GUI is similar and it has control panel in a similar way and a package manager for new programs. Driver support is pretty good and mostly plug and play. The main problems might be with printing though there are ways around it.

Cinnamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJwUaLHOTCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi8_hSMDr0o

Lol, scare everyone off why don't ya?

You can use Linux like Windows and you can use Windows like Linux. Both have powerful command lines.

Hehe, I wasn't trying to scare anyone! My bad if my post came across that way. I'm just preaching what I think will help a new user break into "Linux" ASAP. I would hope the exposure to concepts in learning to do the above tasks would get a person thinking differently about how to use a computer. Installing Linux, and then using it exactly the same way you would Windows is like getting an aeroplane and driving around in it like a car. The objective is to fly (and be free)!!!

Also, another project: Get a Raspberry Pi, install Linux and have fun :)

I've installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 17 on a Samsung N150 Netbook, going to have a wee tinker around see how it works. :)

Hehe, I wasn't trying to scare anyone! My bad if my post came across that way. I'm just preaching what I think will help a new user break into "Linux" ASAP. I would hope the exposure to concepts in learning to do the above tasks would get a person thinking differently about how to use a computer. Installing Linux, and then using it exactly the same way you would Windows is like getting an aeroplane and driving around in it like a car. The objective is to fly (and be free)!!!

Also, another project: Get a Raspberry Pi, install Linux and have fun :)
Problem with your analogy is that you can learn to drive a car in a day but it takes months / years to learn how to fly a plane. Yes Linux is powerful but there are simply things you try and do that are frustratingly difficult. TBH, if you computing needs are so simple then maybe look at chromebook.

I want to approach the world linux. Which version do you recommend to install to try?
Thank You

Mint would be best for a start.
But if you don't like to reinstall your system to have all apps up to date after new release is out I would go for rolling release distro.
I use Manjaro XFCE and think it would be OK for a starter as well.

Back