training accident

storm

Inactive User
Reaction score
Last week i made a mistake at work whilst training to do a new job, the effect was to cause a large tank to over fill 18 tons of it into a bunded area, i except that i should share some responsibility having been told 3 weeks before that they, being run times were my duties, its going to take 1 year to learn this job , and im 3 weeks into it, anyway they decided to put a letter on my file and the lads thats training me which we hav'nt received yet, back to work wednesday, what do you's think should be my next move i kinda think the've forced me into a corner

storm said:
Last week i made a mistake at work whilst training to do a new job, the effect was to cause a large tank to over fill 18 tons of it into a bunded area, i except that i should share some responsibility having been told 3 weeks before that they, being run times were my duties, its going to take 1 year to learn this job , and im 3 weeks into it, anyway they decided to put a letter on my file and the lads thats training me which we hav'nt received yet, back to work wednesday, what do you's think should be my next move i kinda think the've forced me into a corner
18 tons of what m8 and was u being watched over m8

oil mate, the've turned this into bunsfield the big fire at the oil depot but yes i was been supervised but he spent more time away than with me

i actually told the management that it needed one to one training the problem for me is if i make another mistake whilst learning the job will i get another letter its impossible to continue like that dont you agree

storm said:
oil mate, the've turned this into bunsfield the big fire at the oil depot but yes i was been supervised but he spent more time away than with me
then u wasnt being supervised m8 , u need to make this clear when u return to work , dont become a scapgoat m8

storm said:
i actually told the management that it needed one to one training the problem for me is if i make another mistake whilst learning the job will i get another letter its impossible to continue like that dont you agree

you have to take responsibilty for you own actions m8 you cant always lay it off to the trainer or the supervisor.
Maybe you are not cut out for the job. And i dont want to sound disrespectful. If you are out your depth with the job then you are not going to enjoy it so maybe a career rethink maybe the next move.

my dilemer now is do i stop training and tell them to find someone else to promote or do i cause a problem and take to the union cause the lad who was supervising me is obviously pissed off with me and himself but hes to kind to say anything to me he probably doesn't want to continue himself,

IANBBB said:
you have to take responsibilty for you own actions m8 you cant always lay it off to the trainer or the supervisor.
Maybe you are not cut out for the job. And i dont want to sound disrespectful. If you are out your depth with the job then you are not going to enjoy it so maybe a career rethink maybe the next move.

your probably right m8 when they asked me to do the job i had reservations about how much responsibility it would be for 70 pence an hour more but im only three weeks in and in their eyes the only person they feel can do it ive been with the company 5 years and never made a mistake before this is my first letter ever its hard to except, especially when training

Last edited:
storm said:
my dilemer now is do i stop training and tell them to find someone else to promote or do i cause a problem and take to the union cause the lad who was supervising me is obviously pissed off with me and himself but hes to kind to say anything to me he probably doesn't want to continue himself,

Maybe a meeting with managment to discuss how you feel would help matters m8.
Work is shit when things like this hang over you talk it out with them m8.
If you are not cut out for it then maybe a move is required. If they and you think you are then a review on the training and your responsibilities should be looked at.

Hope you get it sorted m8 as there is nothing worse than being miserable and insecure about your job.
Good luck

thats good advise m8 , things seem worse when u have time on your hands , hope u sort it m8 , life deals theses shit cards sometimes u just have to play them the best u can ..

cheers for that guys its been hanging over my head for a week now maybe a talks whats needed it just bugs me that i stuck my neck out and tried to learn to quickly for them as their desperate to fill the position to stop the overtime we all learn from are mistakes , i hope someone learns from mine:Cheers:

Definately have a chat with someone about it. There is nothing worse than being in a job you don't feel comfortable or enjoy. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and in the end I had to go and tell them I wasn't happy. They were very supportive and things have worked out really well. Life is too short to be miserable when you are at work m8. If you get up in the morning and dread going to work you are best off sorting it, its not worth being miserable.

Hope it sorts itself for you.

The thing is if he tell's on his manager that he didnt get adequate training or that his supervisor didnt look after him the manager will be having word's with the supervisor, this could have a knock on effect to the trainee.

My advice would be for the future if your not sure about anything or not Comfortable in the situation your placed in , you must ask for advice of better to be asked to be shown, even if it means to be shown asked again, end of the day once your fully up and running it will be all down to you who's gona have to be fully responsible.

other than that i cant see it being your fault if are only a trainee then it's your trainers responsibility to look after you and it should be him/her who should have over looked what ever you was doing.

have you been shown what todo before ?

1.Why did the tank not have a high level alarm.
2.If it did have an alarm why did it not sound and alert yourself and others to it.
3.If it did have an alarm and it did sound but was not picked up?there should be a secondary trip to stop any further flow into tank.By means of closing feed valve or stopping feed pump.
4.Do you have any training records?if so are you passed out to do that operation.
5.As you did not have sufficient training,you are not competent to do the task.
6.Seek union advice
7.Sounds like to me the management are running dodgy set-up

Did you know that the cause of buncefield was an over-filled tank-yes,but also that the tank high-level alarm and trip system were faulty/not working.
If either of these had worked buncefield would not have happened.

Stop worrying as the bund did its job,serious questions need to be asked of the management culture.

Back