Other TPM Chip- friend or foe?

Apparently future Windows8-ready PC's are to be fitted with a new chip called a TPM (Trusted Platform Module).
It is being thrust upon us (MS users) under the guise of 'cleaning up the internet' but could this device have a more sinister agenda?

[ What You Need to Know About Microsoft's Spying Ways ]

Don't worry, Google is riding to the rescue ! I saw an item recently (on Click, I think) about Google setting up a secure "spy proof" network.

Subscription to that would be like giving your teenage daughter's bedroom door key to Stuart Hall for safe keeping, but some will fall for it.

Problem is, the module could be integrated into essential MOBO chips on later boards, and you can't keep using older boards forever.

I've been using Linux Mint for years though, great for everyday use, but if you want something unusual it soon gets quite "geeky", at least to me.

As far as internet access is concerned, I rarely use anything else.

Im sure Dell have had this implemented for a while? Not sure its the same thing but you can turn it off in bios

they have been around a while 2007 or so, more in the corporate based machines but very few companies have used them (in my experience) turned off in bios, if they are being pushed in win8 then MSoft and their buddies must think its time for the public to use, i can imagine they will use to licence software and control drm to help stop software piracy and tv/film piracy.

We've used TPM with bit locker on windows 7 since it came out, encrypts and ties the HD to the laptop, by default it's usually disabled

Christ, just read that link - someone needs to step away from the internet conspiracy theories and look at real issues....

Christ, just read that link - someone needs to step away from the internet conspiracy theories and look at real issues....

I know, the Americans do like to over-do things a bit, don't they? But the fact remains that there are bits of h/w lurking in our PC's with the potential to get up to no good.

I know, the Americans do like to over-do things a bit, don't they? But the fact remains that there are bits of h/w lurking in our PC's with the potential to get up to no good.

and also the potential to protect you from any malware.

Back