Toroidal T90 or Maximum T85 ?

Fano

Inactive User
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice on these two dishes please.
I know a few people on here have the T90 but I'm not so sure of the T85 (only single reflector)

I am switching to a fixed dish as my motor packed it in.
I ideally want to receive 28e,19e, and 13e but I'd also like to receive 23.5e,16e,7e and 1w.

I was leaning towards the T90 but there are a few drawbacks.
Firstly its a monstrous dish (14kg) and as it has to be wall mounted I'd need a special wall mount for it as my T brackets arent strong enough.

The T85 is lighter and will attach to my current wall mount as it doesnt require a 6cm pole.

Obvously the T90 has a higher gain but its also more expensive.

What kind of performance would the T85 give me ,I've read its similar to a 70cm dish ?
This comparison seems to indicate the T85 performs as an 80cm dish between +/- 10 degrees and 60cm outside that to +/-20 degrees.
_http://www.satshop24.de/Messprotokoll.pdf
The T90 performs as a 90cm dish +/- 10 degrees.80cm outside that to +/-20.
So it seems the T90's gain is alot more constant .

Is it possible to get 3 degree spacing on the T85 ,for 13e,16e and 19e ?

Would the T85 be sufficient for my needs or would be better off to get the T90 ?

i fitted a t90 a while back for a member here, and he was able to receive 28.2, 19, 16, 13, and im sure he added LNBs for 42 and 7e later down the line as well, but, i do know that when we tried to get 1W on it, as the focus of the dish followed the eastern side of the arc, we couldnt get it at all.

the dish was fitted on T&Ks, above the roof line (i nearly killed myself lifting it lol) and fitted on a 2" diameter pole with a little bit of 'modifying'

I've got the T90 and got plenty on so far - 39e,28.2e,23.5e,19.2e,16e,13e,10e/9e,7e,4.8e,1w,5w. These are what I've picked up with no probs tho I've only got 8 lnbs on at the mo cos I've only got 8-way disecq switches. only got the dish mounted on the floor so well pleased. 16e and 10e are the weakest out of these but are ok - i would use best qual lnbs for these. the others are picked up easily on cheap mti/sky type quads, a couple of which have undergone a bit of surgery to squeeze them together for a 3 degree and under spacing. Its good fun to play with. If there was a 1.5m version of this i would buy 2moro. It is well capable of the sats you require, you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the replies guys
The T90 is supposed to be an absolute beast of a dish ,hence my reluctance to put it on the current T brackets I have.
Here was my previous setup ,you can see the T brackets
Im5.jpg
I could replace one of the T brackets with a K bracket but due to the way the dish sits on top of the pole as opposed to attaching to the middle of it like a normal dish,it means the dish will be up very high.

The T85 will attach nicely to the existing pole and be sheltered but I'm unsure of its performance and I think 3 degree lnb seperation isnt possible on it,without some diy.

The T90 will cover the satellites I want ,my main worries are its weight and the akwardness of having to put up a new bracket .
The missus will not like me drilling more holes and removing her nice dash.:Angryfire

I could buy the 60mm mount designed for the T90 but that means putting it on the south wall ,instead of the East wall its currently on.

The T85 seems to be popular on the continent but I'm not sure of its performance.
If only the T90 wasnt so bloody heavy.

Last edited:
Yes the T90 is big lump. Even more so with lots of lnbs and associated cabling added to it. On the cabling - have you thought of how many cables you will have coming off the dish? I have 8 x quad lnbs at the mo so thats 32 cables into 4 8x1 disecq switches, down to 4 cables to the house feeding my 4 receivers. Where would you put your switch/switches - the loft looks good to me. On your picture,where is the dish pointing? You may be able to mount it on the same wall depending on this. Another thing to remember is that the T90 arrives with 5 lnb holders so more will have to be bought to have more than 5 lnbs

Yes the T90 is big lump. Even more so with lots of lnbs and associated cabling added to it. On the cabling - have you thought of how many cables you will have coming off the dish? I have 8 x quad lnbs at the mo so thats 32 cables into 4 8x1 disecq switches, down to 4 cables to the house feeding my 4 receivers. Where would you put your switch/switches - the loft looks good to me. On your picture,where is the dish pointing? You may be able to mount it on the same wall depending on this. Another thing to remember is that the T90 arrives with 5 lnb holders so more will have to be bought to have more than 5 lnbs

The dish is pointing at 30w in the picture,I have a clear view East of that.
The problem with mounting the T90 on that wall is the bad design of the dishes mount.
It has to sit on top of a 60mm pole so if I use the current T brackets it will be very high up ,almost directly under the eaves which could interfere with the signal .
The brackets have an offset of 22" so they would allow the T90 to be positioned correctly.
Alternatively I could replace the T brackets with the T90 designed wall mount but I'm not sure if that will give me enough offset.
thumb.php.jpeg

I plan to use a ten way diseqc switch as i'm mostly using single lnbs and one quad for 28e.
I will attach the switch to the back of the dish to keep the wiring to a minimum.

I will also order 3 xtra lnb holders,I am aware they only come with 5.

Back