Top 50 Antivirus Tested

The-Dogs-Nutts said:
this is the one i'm running..........

1. Kaspersky Personal Pro version 5.0.390- 99.46%
same here, was built into system mechanic 6 along with kaspersky antihacker.

antihacker was just a pain in the arse though :(

nice to know i am using the no1 av, good old kaspersky.

nice link

To be honest I would take that top 10 with a pinch of salt! when was the last time a virus was caught by your antivirus that wasn't embedded in a rar/zip/ace/etc... or a webpage? Testing files that aren't compressed doesn't show the reallife performance required by the user! I would rather my pc run smoothly with a small risk of infection than it be bogged down with inflated antivirus programs that take up loads of cpu cycles (I do accept that nod32 dosen't fall into this catagory though)
I use trend micro officescan and avast (dunno version-can't be bothered looing)
:) or spell checking ;)

AVG version 7.1.371 - 77.97% Looks like i may go back to Kaspersky then..

@FiGgY132 what ever group testing u do on any set of products you can not test every function only a sample (otherwise the test would become void because it would take so long to complete that other events would have passed it by). As long as the testing critera is the same for all the products then the test can be deemed valid. Whilst i agree with you that many virus are delivered via compressed format files many come as an attached file within and e-mail and are not.

i was swamped around xmas with some worm 100+ per day for about 3 weeks, this was not zipped/rared etc etc.

my personal experiance i found macaffe and norton both very heavy on mem/proc resources but have been using kaspersky for probably 2.5 years now and i would report that "normal" running scanning files as they are used etc etc overhead is very low. scan of all file on the whole system is heavier but most people schedual these tasks for the middle of the night.

guess im not very well protected then - i use AVG the free one :)

i do run an online test every few weeks and everythings always ok so i'll stick with the free AVG

hatab- I agree with most of what you said, I forget that email is sometimes riddled with virii/worms. I stick with Avast because it supported X64 when that went RTM and I needed a solution, just liked the way it worked so kept it for my XP32 machines. Other thing is I only used to use kaspersky before it was called kaspersky (can't remeber what it was called b4) but when it changed to kaspersky I found it slow and bloated!! I don't know what it's like now 'cos as I said, very happy with avast & officescan :) I'm sure I saw kaspersky in the freebies section (free for a couple of months) maybe berley can try this :)

@berley,
you could have allsorts of backdoors and worms running on your system and because your antivirus cant detect them it tells you everything is ok.
i`ve used Kaspersky for about 5 years now and i wouldnt trust any other antivirus cos i know just how easy it is to get dodgy files past most of the others undetected.

Kaspersky aint really bloated either
it is a bit of a resource hog when running a full system scan but like hatab said the best thing to do is schedule the full scan to run overnight.
with just the normal realtime scan service enabled KAV only uses 11mb of memory on my machine :)

Back