TM600 Booting problem

Maddad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a TM600 which has been working perfectly up until this evening using the DS4.0 image. To cut a long story short I wanted to change the image to the latest UR one which I decided to do using the serial cable. I had a DM500 before so I'm sort of OK doing this (Or so I thought).

Anyway my TM600 will now not boot up properly - its loads the image and goes through the erase/write cycle and then gets to the first boot screen where it stops. The lights/bars on the front panel move around but the boot screen just sits there. I read another post which suggested this could take up to 6 mins but mine is going for longer than this with nothing obvious happening.

I've now tried it with the original TM600 image plus a factory reset but again the same thing - stuck at the boot screen. I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them or has any idea how long it can take to boot up. Beginning to think I might have managed to kill it?

Last edited:
i'd be very surprised if u've managed to kill it just from the software side, as i don't think Digidude's managed that yet :D, might possibly be hardware fault...

i've luckily not needed to use serial cable myself yet, but check the tips digidude gives in this thread
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/224382/

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a picture coming on the screen during this m8? DSteam, URteam or yellow TM600 one depending on the image?

first off, do a factory reset via the boot menu, press and hold UP on the front of the receiver while powering on, turn to scart on TV, highlight factory reset and press OK

if it doesnt boot up, and youve loaded the UR image or TM one, try and enter the miniweb (if connected to your network) by pressing and holding the power button while powering up untill a number appears in the front display, now enter this number into a web browser in the format 192.168.1.number

and youll see the update option

the other way is to hold the UP button again, and choose the serial update method and try to flash again

but as its starting to boot, you should be able to resolve this :)

Thanks for the very quick reply chaps. Very much appreciated.

I think I/we may have had a result. I tired all sots of imaages but went back to the very original factory one from around May 2009 I think. This loaded as before but this time the 4 bars on the front panel gave one quick swirl round and then stopped wheras on the other images they kept going round and round.

I then tried the factory reset option per Digidude's post and it started to erase and then load the image. A minute or so later I'm looking at setup wizard rather than than the boot screen. Result!!!

I'm going to put the DS image back while I'm on a role and leave well alone now I think

@maddad, whats the DS 4 image m8, not come across that one, also a link as to were i can find it would be appreciated, just trying to find a good image to play with lol

Thanks Derek

@maddad, whats the DS 4 image m8, not come across that one, also a link as to were i can find it would be appreciated, just trying to find a good image to play with lol

Thanks Derek

Hi Derek

I suspect I'm not allowed to link to other sites from here and I don't think its in the download section on Digital World but if you Google DS+team+tm600 you should be able to find it. Came out late-ish last year and they are up to version 4.0. I like it and think its a good image although the latest version of cccam isn't on there but most everything else is.

Whatever you do don't try changing the skin on it to the Xline one as that's what set me off on my path of near doom tonight!!

Re: TM600 Booting problem / TM500 Booting problem

Well well well :) I had this problem as well.
I was very happy experimenting with various Images like UR & Gemini.
Network install with the tm Ur linux loader.
Suddenly my TM500 would not want to boot anymore, got stuck on a screen ....

Anyway, then you have to do the serial rescue trick ...

1 .connect Nulmodem serial cable TM - PC
2. fire up Technomate Linux Control center
3. choose serial mode
4. To be safe choose the original TM linux file from Technomate
>> w're gonna flash towards 'out of the box' settings
5. power off the TM linux receiver
6. hold the 'OK' button pressed while powering on
7. watch the serial flash update kick in and do his thing (takes 15minutes)
8. Be happy and experiment again with different images :)

im half way through a tutorial for this, with screen shots of the software, and screenshots of the tv and front display, this was how i discovered the gemini image now also has the miniweb feature as well

Well well well :) I had this problem as well.
I was very happy experimenting with various Images like UR & Gemini.
Network install with the tm Ur linux loader.
Suddenly my TM500 would not want to boot anymore, got stuck on a screen ....

Anyway, then you have to do the serial rescue trick ...

1 .connect Nulmodem serial cable TM - PC
2. fire up Technomate Linux Control center
3. choose serial mode
4. To be safe choose the original TM linux file from Technomate
>> w're gonna flash towards 'out of the box' settings
5. power off the TM linux receiver
6. hold the 'OK' button pressed while powering on
7. watch the serial flash update kick in and do his thing (takes 15minutes)
8. Be happy and experiment again with different images :)

Glad I am not the only one who's done this. I have had a DM500 (well a clone) - for several years prior to this and used to change images quite regularly as its part of the fun of owning this type of linux box.

I have done it with the TM600 although there are not quite as many images to play with but I have to admit I was quite worried for an hour or so yesterday and really thought I had broken it. It just wouldn't get past the flashing lights and the boot screen even with various versions of the UR and updated TM images. I think the key here as you posted is to use the very original TM600 image followed by a factory reset per Digidude's post. Don't know why this image did the trick where others failed but this was the only way to get it back. Hopefully this might help somebody else.

Thanks again to everybody who posted to help me- great stuff!!

ok i got the same problem, tried to upload an original tm image yesterday, it flashed but on the writing to flash stage, i got an error, and this error is unrecoverable or words to that effect... now i dont have a pc with a serial port on it doh.. to try the first tm image.. ah well off to the pub so, mrs said she's buying lol..

Back