TM-Twin OE Slingbox Remote

CG121

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK, after a while making some new bin files (to include the volume control) and sorting out a nice skin for the remote, attached is a zip file for anyone that wants to add the twin to their slingbox.

[You need to use my bin files else the volume buttons won't work...]

A readme is present (in the bin folder) that explains how to install it..

I have NOT compressed the skin into an spr file as it doesn't work (yet) :D

I am conversing with a guru in order to address that, but this doesn't affect the operation of the remote..

Here's a quick image of the finished remote.

twin-sling-remote.jpg

View attachment TM Twin OE Remote by CG121.zip

Just may come in handy for some

CG

I can see why you posted this at 4a.m.
You left me far behind but thanks for posting, I've downloaded it
If your working with Alan give him my thanks

I can see why you posted this at 4a.m.
You left me far behind but thanks for posting, I've downloaded it

I would, but he hasn't helped yet lol.

I've only just sent him the zip to see if he has any ideas re the spr way of deploying the remote files :)

Cheers

Is using a sling box better than buying a set of those wireless hdmi senders which around £150~?

You will be streaming remember.
"How much data does the Slingbox use? At the highest resolution possible, the standard-definition SOLO Slingbox generates 6 megabits of data per second, or 2.6 gigabytes per hour. The high-definition PRO-HD model streams 8 megabits per second, or 3.5 gigabytes per hour. If you have a 5 gigabyte-per-month allotment on your laptop, you could blow a half-month's worth of data use on a single hour-long TV episode. A Slingbox spokesperson said they have some hairy stories about data use from people who, for example, have phoned in from their overseas yacht screaming about a $30,000 monthly wireless bill because they used their Slingbox full time on a roaming connection."

The new Slingbox software has been improved, and works better over a slower WiFi connection than it use to.

"Sending a remote video signal requires a fast Internet connection, and in particular a fast outgoing connection, as the SlingBox needs to push a compressed video feed out over the Internet to the remote location you hope to watch it from. However, most consumer broadband Internet accounts are designed around web browsing and consumption of inbound server-side content, meaning that they deliver far faster downloads than uploads."

"DSL commonly offers 0.768 to 1.5 megabit downloads, but often as little as 0.128 uploads, while "fast cable Internet" may deliver as much as 8 or 16 megabit downloads to customers in developed areas of the US, but only a quarter or less than in upload bandwidth. Even customers reporting 50 megabit or greater downloads commonly report only getting ten to twenty percent of that speed for uploads."

"That's the problem facing all server-type consumer applications like the one offered by Sling Media. Even customers who have fast Internet access both at home and in their vacation spot's hotel, college campus, or workplace will be hampered by the weakest link: the relatively slow upload service offered by most ISPs serving home users. Sling addresses this issue by applying proprietary compression and optimized signaling to deliver the most efficient transmission possible."

Is using a sling box better than buying a set of those wireless hdmi senders which around £150~?

The slingbox has been around for ages, I myself have the Pro-HD model and it allows you to hook up your A/V gear and watch/control it from around the world..(handy for stbs like virgin/sky where streaming is not an option)

It seems you're talking about an HDMI sender that operates within the home only...
To achieve that goal, I would deploy an ethernet based HDMI matrix rather than some dodgy wifi hdmi sender :)

I cant add ethernet hdmi matrix has all my cat6 goto my gigabit switch. I got ports all around my house but everything goes to switch and patch panel :(

I just want to display hdmi from one source to tv at same time with minimal PQ loss, if you know of a way PM me :)

Last edited:
But cant run anymore cables. Got cat6 points behind every tv but they all go to network switch

Have done m8, although he wrote the following (quote below) so I think we're now into new territory ;)
(that I always seem to create...thats my ocd for ya lol)

Before we continue I need to correct a misunderstanding on your part.
You seem to think I know what I am talking about and understand exactly
what is going on. Believe me I don't :) Sling have never given me any
information and 100% of what I did was pure guesswork and trial and
error. So if you are expecting coherent answers from me, forget it :)
In your work you have gone way beyond anything I ever did.

lol, he should join here :D

I have NOT compressed the skin into an spr file as it doesn't work (yet) :D

You shouldn't need to compress into a SPR file. Just put the zip file you already have into the Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\Remote folder. You could rename it to an spr but it doesn't matter.

Hi
When I say compress to an spr, I mean renaming a zip to spr so I know it doesn't work..

I have since discovered the use of UEI in the keymap id (remote.xml) can enable/disable buttons mapped in the file (leaving only the default buttons NOT mapped again in the remote.xml working)

This was also the behavious observed when zipping up the files into an spr file..

So I'm having a play with it to see if I can get it all to work with a simple spr file. The remote is fine when left as core files, but this is justa matter of neatness :)

I know I won't be able to make a twin.spr file as I cannot force the slingbox to lookup that file as sling has no reference number for the twin..
I don't think using Technomate is enough to get it to look at a twin.spr file either..

If I get it back to how it was before I completely rewrote it, I'll see if the UEI changes anything..

Cheers

Thanks Cg121 - I can actually use my slingbox solo now. It works with Windows 8. I haven't tried the browser yet , not usre of the file structure.

Back