TM-2T OR VU+ ? Need help in choose a new Linux Reciever Please?

I see prices dropping everywhere, must be good for all concerned.
Solo £179
Uno £229 Single Tuner
Duo £259
Ultimo £339 Double tuners
Solo2 £299 Twin tuner -Pre Order .New coming in 10 dec 2012
Twin Tuner - Plug & Play New for Vu + Uno/Ultimo £59 - Pre -order ( will be next week in stock )
--Increased competition leading to price war/cuts is always a good thing for end user . i can see more posts appearing vu+duo £229 tmtwin £199 witting for tmtwin at £150 vu+duo may be £140, when there will be final price war. may be vu+duo £99
Personally I think the clone market is in decline using cheap recycle components to reduce price /reduce reliability so it's not worth the effort possibly waiting for vu+duo at £99 next few days.

--------

The Solo2 will knock spots off anything available at the moment including the Ultimo or until the Duo2 gets a release date, if you can hold on 4 weeks that £290 would be money well spent on a Solo2

you seem to be forgetting the Gigablue Quad which has the exact same CPU as the solo2 so somehow i dont see it knocking spots off that box.

Every single Linux based receiver to date has had some form of "issue" discovered after it's official launch that was either not discovered prior to launch or just plain ignored. my post which was quoted about the Duo's problems was not meant to dismiss the Duo or any other receiver for that matter, it was simply to make a point.

At the end of the day if your happy with what you use stuff every one elses opinions, i know i do.

I am surprised you ask.

Isn't it common knowledge that any thread mentioning TM goes off at a tangent.

i had a penguin bar earlier, and threw the wrapper out without reading the joke :( gutted about it now

there will NEVER be a perfect receiver, especially a linux one, as so many people want so many different things, and sometimes you have to 'make do'

everything gets cheaper eventually, and everything gets replaced by something better, especially if it has processing power, your linux receiver is more powerfull than the computers that helped man get to the moon and back, yet people still complain that it doesnt do enough lol

you seem to be forgetting the Gigablue Quad which has the exact same CPU as the solo2 so somehow i dont see it knocking spots off that box.

No Blackhole support Nuff said

So what about a technomate twin or Tm2t... Is the tm2t a better buy

the 2T and TWIN are identical in the way theyre used (as is just about every receiver running the ViX image), but, the differences between them

the twin has a sat loopthrough, the 2T doesnt, but, thats not important unless you have a pile of receivers all in the same place
the twin can take a 3.5" or 2.5" hdd internally, the 2T can only fit a 2.5"
the twin has Y,Pb, Pr component phono sockets, the 2T doesnt
the twin has a modem socket, the 2T doesnt (ooooooo lol)
the twin has TV & VCR scart outputs, the 2T only has TV scart

BOTH have twin DVB-S2 inputs, SPDIF audio output, HDMI, RS232, stereo phono, video, TV scart, modulated RF output, ethernet and 2x USB on the rear

on the front, BOTH have a USB and card reader, the twin has 2x CI+ CAM slots, the 2T has none

INSIDE.........

theyre both 405 Mhz Dual core MIPSel processors
they both have '3Gbit DDR Ram' = 384Mb

but, while the twin has 256Mb of flash storage, the 2T has a whole 1Gb (or 2Gbit and 8Gbit as advertised)

the twin has additional output socketry, and (at the time of posting) retails for about £259, the 2T has 4x the internal flash storage of the twin, and retails for about £219

but, in 'everyday use' theyre identical

So the 2t is cheaper and has more flash..mmmm I wonder will twin drop in price....

Thanks for post ...

QUOTE=digidude;2169074]the 2T and TWIN are identical in the way theyre used (as is just about every receiver running the ViX image), but, the differences between them

the twin has a sat loopthrough, the 2T doesnt, but, thats not important unless you have a pile of receivers all in the same place
the twin can take a 3.5" or 2.5" hdd internally, the 2T can only fit a 2.5"
the twin has Y,Pb, Pr component phono sockets, the 2T doesnt
the twin has a modem socket, the 2T doesnt (ooooooo lol)
the twin has TV & VCR scart outputs, the 2T only has TV scart

BOTH have twin DVB-S2 inputs, SPDIF audio output, HDMI, RS232, stereo phono, video, TV scart, modulated RF output, ethernet and 2x USB on the rear

on the front, BOTH have a USB and card reader, the twin has 2x CI+ CAM slots, the 2T has none

INSIDE.........

theyre both 405 Mhz Dual core MIPSel processors
they both have '3Gbit DDR Ram' = 384Mb

but, while the twin has 256Mb of flash storage, the 2T has a whole 1Gb (or 2Gbit and 8Gbit as advertised)

the twin has additional output socketry, and (at the time of posting) retails for about £259, the 2T has 4x the internal flash storage of the twin, and retails for about £219

but, in 'everyday use' theyre identical[/QUOTE]

The Solo2 apparently has Gigabit LAN/Ethernet from some specsheets i've seen...this is a welcome move and long overdue see I cant the point with new devices having 10/100 ports, other than cost saving on the behalf of the manufacturers. Granted it's not going to be much benefit for general CS where it's not needed it is however useful for media player functionality and streaming HD video and copying larger fles between devices on your LAN especially if the rest of your home LAN is gigabit. I have gigabit throughout from router to switches to NAS server. The only non gigabit appliances are the wireless devices like phones, tablets, laptops and printers. But if this running the same CPU and chipset as the Gigablue quad..im not sure the gigabit LAN claim is true..i've read reports that only 10/100 is supported by the chipset...maybe some owners/testers can confirm

The Gigablue Quad also looks like an intresting prospect will be good to see how that turns out, cant say im much impressed with the existing Gigablue models theyre average at best... From the internal pictures i've seen of the gigablue quad the cooling setup seems to be pretty crap...same rubbish V shaped piece of metal lame excuse for a heatsink that VU DUO's use..also no internal fan anywhere to be seen, not sure if theres a seperate lid mounted fan..deosnt look like though. The two standard tuners are not plug and play theyre soldered to the board...again like the Duo, and other twin tuner recievers this is a cost saving method...production time saves having tuners soldered by robot...a bit of a bugger if you have a failed tuner though...

Last edited:
Back