[TIP]Increaseing 20% of your Internet bandwidth with XP

kms

Inactive User
Reaction score
Recover your bandwidth from Windows XP

Windows XP uses 20 percent of your bandwidth for its own purpose (searching for updates and interrogating your machine, etc).

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start--> Run--> type "gpedit.msc" without the quotation marks.

This opens the group policy editor.

Then go to:

Local Computer Policy--> Computer Configuration--> Administrative Templates--> Network--> QOS Packet Scheduler--> Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20 percent.

I normally set it to 5 (Atleast giviing 5% back to Microsoft, else if shall affect your system performance

This works on XP Pro and 2000

Last edited:
wicked mate nice one, ive tried it, dunno if its made much difference but !!!no swearing!!!!! it lol nice

Last edited by a moderator:
cheer's for that m8. Cheeky Windows taking some of my bandwidth. tut tut tut

In most cases this mod will have little effect. The 20% reserve isn't an absolute value which is kept by the OS but an absolute maximum that it is allowed to occupy. If the OS doesn't need it (99.9% of time on most machines that aren't acting as a server) then this bandwidth is available for other tasks.

Even on networked PC's the QOS stuff usually applies to your network card bandwidth rather than the actual internet bandwidth. As most network cards these days are 100Mbit/sec they can usually host a 10Mbit/sec internet connection in 10% of their total available bandwidth.

Last edited:
windows can not find gpedit.msc. make sure you typed it correctly blah blah blah.....

gpedit.msc?????

laptop running xp and thats what i get?????

edit forget it, laptops running xp home, its my tower running xp pro. thats prob the reason.

machien still the same , it was worth a try:) thanks m8:Cheers:

nice one mate, thanks for the info. ill give it a go

Back