Tic and Gers In SPL TV deal

Rodbouy

Banned
Reaction score
SourceBBC

Celtic and Rangers may be set to mount a bid to take on the broadcasting rights to the Scottish Premier League.

Rangers confirmed the club was in talks with their Old Firm rivals about buying the TV rights to the SPL, following the collapse of Setanta last month.

The Glasgow clubs are unhappy at the deal offered by Sky and ESPN, thought to be worth £65m over five years.

The SPL said it had received no proposals from the Old Firm. Its board will discuss the issue on Thursday.

A spokeswoman for Rangers said: "Rangers and Celtic have had discussions with regard to buying out the SPL television rights.

"Both clubs felt obliged to do this given the offer from Sky and ESPN is so low."

A spokesman for the SPL said: "We have not received a proposal from the Old Firm in relation to our TV rights.

"Until we do so we are not in a position to comment on it."

Regular payments

It has been reported that the Old Firm believe the rights are worth £25m over two years.

Setanta collapsed at the end of the season after failing to meet deadlines for regular payments to both the Premier League in England and its Scottish counterpart.

The SPL decided to seek new partners after the Irish broadcaster reneged on the final payment of £3m which was due to the league for broadcasting live games last season.

Acceptance of any new deal would require all 12 clubs to vote on a formal resolution, which would have to be supported by a majority of at least eight to four.

I personally cant see this working. The cost of running such a channel and the yearly amount divided to the clubs just isnt going to work. Have they not heard of illegal cable boxes ? Yes they might make on sky but who is going to pay the monthly fee on cable? This is IMO part of the reason setanta collapsed as they didnt have enough viewers.

Just have to wait and see

only celtic fans have illegal cable boxes.get it right ,were honest lol

Thats right you hun.....mon the Tic...........:proud:

I agree with rodbouy....I can't see it working tbh, unless they make it available to Sky only and not allow it on cable.

Virgin also gave Setanta free with XL tv package which was a carrot to get the XL package but surely it wouldn't have done Setanta any favors.

It'll just be another Rangers TV. ;)

They'll show 1 Celtic match every 2 months.

How is £25 million over two seasons a better deal than £65 million over five seasons.
OK, the Sky deal ties us in long term and does not allow for inflation, but it should mean we are not scratching around for another deal in a couple of seasons, I wouldn't trust the old firm with this much control to be honest.

:Cheers:

How is £25 million over two seasons a better deal than £65 million over five seasons.
OK, the Sky deal ties us in long term and does not allow for inflation, but it should mean we are not scratching around for another deal in a couple of seasons, I wouldn't trust the old firm with this much control to be honest.

Its a better deal in terms on length, If they old firm pay the year equivalent the spl are only tied in for 24 months as opposed to the 60 months, so in that time they can find a better deal and not be held of the barrel like we are now.

were honest lol

Got to agree heres a few honest rangers men

donald-findlay-athutchie-br.jpg

_292088_jim300.jpg

SpeakOutHughDallas.jpg

and last but not least - Satan

SouthPark_satan_300x298.jpg

Its a better deal in terms on length, If they old firm pay the year equivalent the spl are only tied in for 24 months as opposed to the 60 months, so in that time they can find a better deal and not be held of the barrel like we are now.

I hear what your saying mate, but its not healthy for the 2 biggest clubs in this country to be running something as important as the TV rights, the best thing would be an SPLTV.

The Dutch League set up their own channel last season and it works well; each team gets equal coverage and attendances have gone up as well. If SPLTV is done properly along these lines, this could be a good move. the OF aren't going to get many votes form us or other SPL clubs if there is no real benefit to us so they will have to propose something which is fair - probably fairer than in terms of coverage than any Sky - ESPN deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking closely at the Dutch version of this and if so, it could be good for all teams equally.

I hear what your saying mate, but its not healthy for the 2 biggest clubs in this country to be running something as important as the TV rights, the best thing would be an SPLTV.

The Dutch League set up their own channel last season and it works well; each team gets equal coverage and attendances have gone up as well. If SPLTV is done properly along these lines, this could be a good move. the OF aren't going to get many votes form us or other SPL clubs if there is no real benefit to us so they will have to propose something which is fair - probably fairer than in terms of coverage than any Sky - ESPN deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking closely at the Dutch version of this and if so, it could be good for all teams equally.

agree with you a bit there, but do the other ten spl teams have the financial ability to fund such a venture before getting the money returned? the sphell is skint and the only 2 with the money (one really the other is on borrowed time :)) is celtic and rangers

lets face it tho, celtic or rangers are not doing it out of pure kindness they must be seeing $$$$ or it wouldn't be an option

Back