Thinking of getting dm500-s. What can I expect???

gersrt

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi I am using a dm500c at the moment and think it is great. I owe a lot to this site for helping me set it up.

Now I am thinking of a dm500-s.

A couple of questions

What is the best direcction to point the satelite, that I will pick up the most stations.

Is there a list of channels that I will pick up and decrypt.

Thanks in advance

if youre going for a fixed dish (motorised gives a lot more choice m8) then youd be best off pointing it at hotbird, then either fitting a monoblock LNB to pick up astra1 as well OR fitting a 4 way diseqc switch (to change satellites) and fitting LNBs for hotbird, astra1, astra2 (for the free to air sky channels, sky is not hacked on satellite) and sirius satellites. this will give you quite a choice of films, footy, filth as well as your normal BBC and ITV lineup

for channel lists visit www.lyngsat.com

Depends on where you are and what you want.

If you are in the UK a min 1m dish and motorised.

But if you want certain packages only then you may only need a fixed dish.

If you are in Europe and you want sky you may need a bigger dish.

It really depends or where you are and what you want.

It also depends what line of sight you have got.

Bit more info please.

Have a look here for channels/packages etc:
http://www.lyngsat.com/

cheers lads.

I'm living in Ireland Dublin. Was just going to use a sky mini dish and a dm500-s

Thanks

Obviously you will only get sky then.

A far as I am aware internal CS sky talk is acceptable.

Any Sky CS via the net is frowned upon.

Just keep that in mind.

Anyway setup with your favourite image.

Install CCcam via blue button.
Also CCca.cfg via blue button

The stick in your card(or whatever) and sky will work.

So you are telling me that I can't point that dish at any other satelite and get it to work with a dm500-s. Hmmmm??

Why is the dish too small to pick up any other satelite

Well you could probably move it manually to hotbird 13.0east or astra 19.2east, but might break up in rainy weather.

There are various packages on both sats, but only a few open by emu (softcam)

So decide which sat you want:
Keep pointed at 28.2e (sky)
point at hotbird
point at astra

Anything else is really out of the question with a mini dish.

Gersrt,
What Equaliser means is you'll get a very hit and miss reception on 13e & 19.2e by pointing a sly mini dish at them. The mini-dish is fine for sly(28.2) as this delivers a powerful signal across the British Isles, but 19.2, and especially 13 will require a bigger dish for you in Ireland for a reliable reception.
A 85cm dish will serve you well, either with multi LNB's & a switch, or get your self a dish & diseq motor. This kit can cost under £100.

Sky cardshare talk is 100% not allowed here. Posts will be removed and this thread is very borderline now so it may be totally removed if it heads further into sky cardshare talk.

I never mentioned cardshare. No more do I want too. If you read my questions in the first post you will see this. if you have a problem I suggest you edit equilisers posts.

Gersrt,
What Equaliser means is you'll get a very hit and miss reception on 13e & 19.2e by pointing a sly mini dish at them. The mini-dish is fine for sly(28.2) as this delivers a powerful signal across the British Isles, but 19.2, and especially 13 will require a bigger dish for you in Ireland for a reliable reception.
A 85cm dish will serve you well, either with multi LNB's & a switch, or get your self a dish & diseq motor. This kit can cost under £100.

Cheers mate. Thats more along the lines of what I'm talking about.

No it was me who mentioned CS and to say not to mention CS with $ky.
He has a minidish and getting a dreambox,what was i supposed to think???
(theequalizer confuses himself while pinkhelmets slaps him silly for being naughty)

Anyway I have had a minidish pointed at 13e and one at 19e in my time and just to say if it rains bad you will loose most of the signal.
It will break up and be unwatchable.

If you can get a bigger dish, get one.
If you cant/don't want to get a bigger dish the most you could get is astra/hotbird.But these would be bad in bad weather.

I'm going for a lie down now....

I've got a 70cm Raven (same shape as a mini dish but a tad bigger) and had no issues receiving Astra 28.2e, 19.2e, Hotbird 13e and divvyalb package on 16e (but not all transponders on tha sat). Also works for Hisapasat at 30w and most of sirius 5e and Thor 1w as well as turksat somewhere beyond Astra 28.2e.

Its a good alternative if you don't want a massive dish stuck to your house but i would recommend a motor - not much extra cost but very worthwhile.

Here's a pic of the Raven dish

http://www.targetaerials.com/images/raven 90.bmp

Crazy

I've got a Triax, 80cm dish that I'm using for Hotbird and Astra.
You just need the correct braket and two LNB. Both will end up in a 2 way DISECQ.
When you change the channel, the disecq knows which sat to talk to.
good luck

Back