Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 3 missing pins

ive scraped mine of so i can see the tracks, so dificult to solder on to them

think ill end up messing this wii up :(

Had ago at missing leg wii

M8 brought a wii round that had someone had tried to chip before, few scews missing
soldering iron mark on case, god know how they did that , anyhow had alook
and it was the leg cut version,

I gave it ago did not want to use a dremel so used a small fine after marker the area with a stanley blade, gentle filed away and followed each leg until enough showing
use coated wire, gives you a bit more room. it hard but no harder then soldering it flash chip back in a xbox360 drive. just have to gentle with the soldering iron and just just stroke it over the pins, only had double sided tape to hold the waires would have used hot glue but out of it. could have been neater but it worked fine.

Last edited:
who's the daddy, hey, WHO IS THE DADDY ? LOL

done it, i used my dremmel and set it to lowest speed, and slowly , yes slowy made left - right - left - right etc..... glides until the inner hidden pins started to show, then took stanley blade and scratche dteh surface of them to make em shiny.

flux, patience and supplied wire from last batch of wii-keys, i successfully modded it.

put it back together and loaded the config disc = region free

i hope i don't get any more of them to do, as i was nervous.

thanks for having confidence in me jay.

well done highlander, but if you are modding a few wii's now, you are more than likely to come accross these more and more, 80% of wii's i do now are ones with missing pins.

3 miss pins - I've done it -no dremel !!!

With a steady hand and a lot of patience and quiet kids, I have managed to solder the stubs to the tracks using the wire that came with the WIIkey. I wouldn't recommend it to any one unless you have good soldering skills.

Tips:-

Tin the pin stubs & wire (stripped back 10mm approx).

Very small tip, I used a solid copper bit on the solder iron which allowed me to sharpen it to a point first.

Very good light.

Eye glass for magnification of 3 to 5 times.

Angle the WII at approx 30 deg so you can see the area better.

Use blue-tac to hold the wires in place from the top of the chip.

Cut the tail ends off using proper side cutters or nail clips.

Be quick, the longer you take the dryer the joint as the flux burns away. Also the more chance of damage.

Have some solder wick ready just in case you bridge pins. I did and needed it.

:banana:

It may be better if you have it to use smt solder paste and a heat gun so you can prep it all first then give it a quick blast of heat, but I do not have this so just a thought.

My WII is up and running with 1.9 setup and 3.0E firmware. Ser LEH 131XXX

Good luck.:licka:

jrazor

Last edited:
ooh those tracks look like if u heat them up once more they will break

looks like to me u either used too much heat or u kept the soldering iron on it for too long and slightly lifted the pads

well as long as it works

but i would recommend u put a little hot glue over those legs just incase

I cant see any lifted tracks, I used a 15W iron and did within 3 applications of the tip. There if flux still on the board, may be thats what your seeing.

Hot glues great but destroys any chance of rework. Back to the old saying - "if it aint broke dont fix it" .

The wire is so small that there is no stress or strain on the pads, the weak point is the fact that you cant see the solders joint to the stubs.

Time will tell.

I cant see any lifted tracks, I used a 15W iron and did within 3 applications of the tip. There if flux still on the board, may be thats what your seeing.

Hot glues great but destroys any chance of rework. Back to the old saying - "if it aint broke dont fix it" .

The wire is so small that there is no stress or strain on the pads, the weak point is the fact that you cant see the solders joint to the stubs.

Time will tell.

be carefull of leaving too much flux on the job as somtimes this can cause a problem a few weeks down the line due to the flux being corrosive
we had this problem a while ago where after chipping our customers wii's we would test them and everything would be fine we would send them out but then a week or 2 later we would have them returned with the problem where it would boot a game when first plugged in but then wouldnt boot any others once that 1 was ejected but if you unplugged the console for an hour or so it would then boot 1 gamer again

tooks us over 2 weeks to find out that flux was the problem
we tried different voltage points and everything till we found the cause. we then bought some flux remover used it and all console behaved normally and worked fine

Thanks for that v-max. Another wii last night in th more traditional way - grinding. All went well, yet another version of PCB (LEH134XXX).

If I get any probs the first thing I will do is apply cleaner on your advice.

I have come across this before on a flat pack IC where the flux stays under the chip but we were using a brush to apply it, where as now I us a flux pen. Just enough and where you need it.

Thanks again

jrazor

Back