Teenage fire killer gets 21 years for murder

phawk754

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A teenager who killed his girlfriend by dousing her in petrol and setting her alight will serve at least 21 years behind bars.

Stewart Blackburn, 18, was convicted in December after a 10-day trial.

His girlfriend Jessica McCagh, 17, died on 25 April after the attack at the Arbroath flat they shared.

Judge Lord Bracadale, who imposed a life sentence with a minimum term of 21 years, said Jessica had suffered a "terrible death" at Blackburn's hands.

The judge told the High Court in Edinburgh the evidence had shown there were three stages to the murder.

"First, you threw petrol over her. Then you set fire to her," he said.

Life should be life. I hope he doesn't get out.

Jessica's father Garry McCagh
"Once she was alight you did something of quite extraordinary cruelty: you held the door of the bedroom shut to prevent her escape.

"Jessica McCagh was your girlfriend, aged 17 years, and she died a terrible death at your hands."

Jessica's father said he was happy with the 21-year minimum sentence but added that he hoped Blackburn would never be freed from custody.

Speaking outside court, Garry McCagh said: "Life should be life. I hope he doesn't get out. I hope they just keep him in."

Surrounded by his wife and family, he paid tribute to his "precious daughter", saying: "She was a lovely wee lassie, we're going to miss her very, very, very much. We'll never forget her."

The court heard Blackburn had earlier threatened to burn Jessica's parents' house using petrol, and that he had convictions for assault and a history of violence as a child.

Blackburn returned to the burning flat to save his dogs
He also admitted to a social worker preparing a background report he had thrown a petrol bomb at a house when he was just 13 years old after falling out with the occupant, Lord Bracadale said.

The judge added that Blackburn's "level of wickedness" deserved a long punishment.

Blackburn, who denied murder, was convicted by a unanimous verdict after a trial at the High Court in Livingston.

The teenager claimed the fire started from burning embers dropping from a cannabis cigarette.

But expert witnesses told the court that was very unlikely and produced evidence to indicate the petrol must have been lit by a naked flame.

The attack left Jessica, a former pupil at Arbroath High School, with burns on up to 85% of her body. She died later the same day at Dundee's Ninewells Hospital.

At the trial, prosecutor Frank Mulholland QC described Blackburn's crime as a "barbaric and evil act against a defenceless young woman".

info from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8441100.stm

I cannot believe a parent would be happy with that sentence this man is evil, he has taken a life so therefore his life should be forfeit

do I believe in the death penalty unfortunately I do not but people like this need to be locked up for life no parole no hope in hell of getting out

May the evil piece of crap have is anus stretched wider than the hadron collider tunnel.

The problem with any custodial sentence is that the murderer is now setup for life. No bills to pay, 3 meals a day, no poll tax to pay, nothing to worry about. He'll probably get a degree, write a book, have a film made of him.

I say bring back capital punishment, public floggings, hanging, the birch. They may seem cruel punishments, but it's the only punishment that fits the crime.

Or we should have secret gangs of inmates on the government payroll, who's job it is to make these toerags life a mysery while they are stitting watching their free sky tv, in their 6x9 cells.

Maybe I'm getting older, but are these stories of pure evil happening far more frequently in this fcuked up society of ours, or are they just getting more exposure by the media?

He was apparently so full of remorse that he offered to set himself on fire...why not let him.

:Cheers:

The problem with any custodial sentence is that the murderer is now setup for life. No bills to pay, 3 meals a day, no poll tax to pay, nothing to worry about. He'll probably get a degree, write a book, have a film made of him.

I say bring back capital punishment, public floggings, hanging, the birch. They may seem cruel punishments, but it's the only punishment that fits the crime.

Or we should have secret gangs of inmates on the government payroll, who's job it is to make these toerags life a mysery while they are stitting watching their free sky tv, in their 6x9 cells.

totally agree...prison is no longer the punishment it used to be.
they need 2 take prisoners beds away and keep them out in the cold on days like this!!!

Back