TDCI Judder

Kris

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I've just bought an 05 TDCI Fiesta about 6 weeks ago but when in fifth with very light throttle or light throttle going up hill at around 50mph, you can feel the car judder. It goes away if you either ease up on the throttle or push it down a little further. It appears to be there in fourth too but a lot lot more subtle to the point you wouldn't really notice it unless you were looking for it and only happens under heavy load (i.e. going uphill).

The judder isn't there in fifth at speeds lower than 45mph even if the engine is labouring.

Any ideas what's going on? No smoke from exhaust at all and no hesitation from the car.

might need a remap. Have you spoken to a dealer ?

Nope, not spoken to a dealer. How much are we talking to remap?

Have you had your wheels balanced or checked? it could be something as simple as that.

Not feeling the judder through the steering wheel and don't have any juddering above 55MPH. I'd have thought if it was wheel balancing it would be consistently there. If I accelerate a little harder from 50MPH to 60MPH, there's no judder. To be honest, it doesn't feel like a wheel balance judder - more a "misfire" type of judder.

Could it be an engine mount? Just before I took ownership of the car, the chap put the car in for it's MOT and I asked him to get the cam belt done while it was in the garage and I believe it's an engine mount off job to do the cam belt on the Fiesta.

Not feeling the judder through the steering wheel and don't have any juddering above 55MPH. I'd have thought if it was wheel balancing it would be consistently there. If I accelerate a little harder from 50MPH to 60MPH, there's no judder. To be honest, it doesn't feel like a wheel balance judder - more a "misfire" type of judder.

Could it be an engine mount? Just before I took ownership of the car, the chap put the car in for it's MOT and I asked him to get the cam belt done while it was in the garage and I believe it's an engine mount off job to do the cam belt on the Fiesta.

Kris a loose or worn engine mount would cause your car to shake all the time due to driving conditions it would not cause a misfire unless the timing belt was put on wrong maybe a tooth out then it would idle roughly.

Hi mate,

My 59 reg 2.0 TDCi Focus had this issue. It was around the 1800RPM range with very light throttle - I noticed it the most when doing 50mph on those motorway speed camera roadworks where it's a 50mph average limit.

I took it to my local dealer and they updated the ECU which seems to have sorted it.

The other thing it could be is the EGR - give it a good clean out

Good luck, but I don't think it's anything to worry about, just the way the car is set up.

Sounds like a drive shaft to me , have changed a few on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

has it got a dual mass flywheel ?
and do agree with inner cv joints too changed one or 2

Hi mate,

My 59 reg 2.0 TDCi Focus had this issue. It was around the 1800RPM range with very light throttle - I noticed it the most when doing 50mph on those motorway speed camera roadworks where it's a 50mph average limit.

I took it to my local dealer and they updated the ECU which seems to have sorted it.

The other thing it could be is the EGR - give it a good clean out

Good luck, but I don't think it's anything to worry about, just the way the car is set up.

I'll try popping into Ford tomorrow and see what they say but I have heard of Seat's having this issue too and being down to ECU software.

Yeah, I suspected EGR valve at first but my thinking was there would be black smoke out of the exhaust when rev'ing high.

Sounds like a drive shaft to me , have changed a few on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely excess play in the drive shaft would have been picked up during MOT? I'll take a look though. I was on the motorway for a couple hundred miles yesterday and can't say I noticed the judder once when gathering speed.

has it got a dual mass flywheel ?
and do agree with inner cv joints too changed one or 2

Yep dual mass flywheel. I would very much like to hope the DMF isn't at fault!

Back