• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

strugling with .mkv hd files playback

jimbo0023

Inactive User
hey all

downloading a lot of hd content, wmv hd files, or .ts files all playing fine in power dvd 7 but a lot of movies are being released as .mkv

power dvd wont play theese. and media player or vlc really struggle with playback.

i know theese movies are processor hungry but as i say i have no problems with hd movies in other formats. just .mkv files.

any ideas any1??

Devilfish

DW Regular
Found this on another forum

Media Player Classic has a built in mkv splitter. For other dshow based players you would need to have a standalone dshow splitter installed.

sparky2002

Inactive User
playing these fine on an xp2500+ with 512mb ram.
you need haali media splitter and coreavc 1.2
haali is available from free-codecs.com or anywhere core avc is available from newsgroups, torrents etc. uninstall any codec packs you may have (klite,cccp,ffdshow etc)

below is all I have installed on my system - everything is played back with MCE 2005.

koepis Xvid
Ac3 filter (SPDIF passthrough)
haali
coreavc
Nvidia purevideo
Divx 5.02??

Once youve got coreavc and haali installed, media player will tell you it doesn't recognise mkv - tell it to try anyway - and it will work fine.

little_pob

Jnr admin
Staff member
Jnr Admin
The K-lite codec pack will play mkv files (it comes with media player classic included, so thats probably why).

jimbo0023

Inactive User
thanks guys.

gonna downlload the codecs and give it a try.. my spec should run them fine if i just need the codecs.

jimbo0023

Inactive User
downloaded the codecs and helped with playback alot but the 1080 stuff still quite jerky.

my processor is only a celeron 2.8 i should have a p4 3.4 arrive tomorrow, hopefully this will help. this is the fastest my board will take so fingers crossed.

i did find info on the nvidia web site for running hd content.

see attatched pdf.