streaming dreambox to internet

poste on another forum,not tried myself yet,,mine is working lol apart from sound,,

This is a way of doing it- bit of work though
On Home PC, install GBPVR. install dboxrecorder plugin, add channels manually to plugin. get TV schedules using xmltv file.

Then use web interface to GBPVR from work pc, from TV guide select priogram to stream, change steraming parameters to best match your Broadband upload speed. Use player on work PC, usually VLC is preferred but WMP is also supported.

Lot of work just for streaming but you get all the PVR functions as well, ie recording shows/series etc.

thanks to happyhammer

can someone help me please, im stuck on this bit "On you routers set up page, select port forwarding and forward ports 8080 (stream), 21 (ftp), 80 (http) through to the DB. My DB local address is 192.168.1.2, it’s preferable to make it static."

whats thedifference between stream ftp and http? do i need all three?

the easiest way i found mate was to get a tv out card for the pc and connect the dreambox to it via audio and video leads and it worked a lot better,and picture and sound all good now

can someone help me please, im stuck on this bit "On you routers set up page, select port forwarding and forward ports 8080 (stream), 21 (ftp), 80 (http) through to the DB. My DB local address is 192.168.1.2, it’s preferable to make it static."

whats thedifference between stream ftp and http? do i need all three?
You will need all 3 ports to give full control via internet. Ftp is used for transfering files while http is used for viewing information in a web browser. So this means these ports are being used as follows-

#Port 8080 will be streaming video outwards. If you connect to this port with vlc you will be able to view this video stream.

#Port 21 will be so that you can access the dreambox to add files or remove them, from outside your LAN. Same way you use ftp to add or remove files/pages to your own websites.

#Port 80 is the standard web browser port. So for instance, if you use Gemini image on the dreambox you can log-in to get lots of control. You type your ip address into the browser address bar, log in, change channels change settings etc.

ok, i tried all three, but when i put my new domain in the browser, it didnt work! although when i tried the ps2 online it told me there was an error connecting to the dns? so i changed the settings of the dns back to what it was, this fixed my ps2 problem. my question is, what ip address to i put in the dns? <---(i think this could be where my problem lies)

if i get stuck, would someone remote desktop my pc and set it up or help me over the phone?

ta,

Internal IP address and external IP address are different. In your router setings you have to input your dreambox 'internal' ip address. The LAN address you use to connect to it, like 192.168.1.5 or similar. That is where the ports will forward to, but i'm not sure what ports you need set up for your ps2? If you currently have a dns server set-up this may mean all ports are currently forwarding to your ps2. This is the simple way to get the ps2 running but its only a temporary solution and not so safe, plus also means you cant connect anything else like a dreambox or an xbox360 etc. So you need to set exact rules in your router, forward the ps2 used ports to the ps2 ~192.168.1.4 etc, then the dreambox ports to the dreambox ~192.168.1.5 etc, then when you add the xbox360 you'd add rules for used ports to ~192.168.1.6 etc.

Externally, you would type your external ip address into your browser, and you can look up your current external ip addy by going to somewhere like - http://www.ip-adress.com/ and read the box on that page.
However the point is that this is for access from 'outside' your LAN, ie from over the internet. So to check if it is working and ports forwarding correctly to each place it should go, without being blocked by firewall or going to wrong bit of kit etc, you need to be outside your home on a network elsewhere. But if you set rules in router correctly you should be fine.

#####I just thought of a problem here anyway as I havent read the tutorials in this thread. You will need to set up streaming ports to and from your pc...... because the dreambx will first have to stream content to the pc, then the pc will convert to a lower bit-rate and re-stream to internet. You cannot directly upload on port 8080 fromthe dreambox as your upload speed will not be anywhere near enough!

Basically ports and different equipment can get very comlicated. You may be best with bro's other solutions in this thread? Streaming to the internet is not that easy and its only half the problem as you will still need more work at the other end to receive. Easiest solution is a slingbox lol.

ok i get the 2 ip adrees thingys, but on in the guide it tells me to set up a dns, what is this?

**thought** when i put my ip address of my box in to my brwser i can watch it on my pc(after putting in the password) can i not put that ip address in any browser, any where?

First the 'dns' mentioned in the guide refers to setting up a dyndns account. See www.dyndns.com for that, but this is used if you have a dynamic IP address. In other words if your external ip address changes each time you disconnect/reconnect your router it is dynamic. Some internet providers give you a fixed IP address that stays the same and in this case you wont need dyndns account. The dyndns account is purely so that no matter where you are on the internet you can locate your home LAN.

Seperately, streaming around your own home is the easy bit. If you type your ip into your browser as you have, it will work on any pc anywhere in your home on your own LAN :). Streaming full quality wherever and whenever, nice and simple.

If you done this from the internet you have problems..... firstly the dreambox stream is far too much to upload to the net and your upload speed is not enough; secondly you would hit your router firewall and not be allowed access; thirdly the traffic to/from the internet would need to go somewhere but your router would not know where. #Setting rules in your router solves 2nd and 3rd problems when set up correct, while using your pc as a server firstly & downconverting video with vlc can solve the first upload problem. This then gets complicated as you need to stream to the pc, convert & upload to a different port, then set more rules in your router to allow access to your pc.

can anyone shed any light on this i have everything working dreambox well tm9100 streaming to pc and showing in dreamview i have a dns sorted and can connect through ie using dns to ftp/yweb the prob i have is when i try using my laptop on the same network to open the stream in vlc i get asked for a user and pass and then i get a error

Unable to open 'http://xxxxxxxxxx.homelinux.org:8080'

ive also tried it on the same pc thats running dreamview and still no luck all ports are forwarded 21,80,8080 but no luck.

on this step in the tut do i change the ip to my dreambox ip

3. Options > Preferences > Stream Output String > Server Output (important bit, copy & paste the code below):
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp1v,vb=256,scale=0.5,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=1}:duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=http,mux=mpeg1,dst=192.168.1.2:8080}} :sout-all

any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
I believe you may have to change that IP to your PC IP and not the dreambox. TBH i am not familiar with this software or tutorial but the 'server output' will have to come from the pc because the pc down-converts the dreambox stream to a much lower bitrate so that it can be uploaded to the internet.
Those settings posted above look like where you have some ability to change the upload speed to suit your internet connection ~vb=256 and ~ab=64
This means VideoBitrate=256 and AudioBitrate=64 making a combined upload speed of 320mb which would really be maximum for us in the uk with a rated 512mb upload speed.
Maybe your connection does not cope with that amount of upload speed so you could try lower bitrates also.

ps. The pc server IP will also need to be forwarded in your router, so 192.168.1.~ rules in your router for port 8080 to go to your pc. Actually thinking about it, the IP may be a 'virtual' local ip server. So you use 192.168.1.20 for instance and then forward port 8080 to 192.168.1.20, suppose it depends what this software does? Anyway, I honestly dont think it will be your dreambox IP address.

Last edited:
Like others I'm struggling at the last hurdle - getting this to stream to the net. I notice that when I use my browser to connect to the Dreambox (without the 8080), I get the Enigma page coming up. Under 'Stream' there is 'Settings' and in there you can change a number of settings - 'Server Settings', 'VLC Settings' and 'Video Settings'. Can anyone give advice as to what changes should be made ? Also, for port settings, mine says VLC Webif port = 8080 and VLC Streaming port = 9090. What does each of these ports do, and what port should be entered in VLC when you run it, and do you need to forward both ports to the DB ?

Last edited:
Ok i thought i'd play about with this since people are having trouble, and because i was trying to help withoutever actually reading the help/tutorial file lol. Anyway, I've worked out what happens and what ports do what and go where so it makes it clearer for me.
First the dreambox streams full quality video to your pc which Dreamview software (using vlc) then converts, so you need to get your home LAN working with vlc first so that you are able to watch this video stream. Then the Dreamview software creates video at a lower bitrate and thats where those settings come into play, and the stream is then sent back to your dreambox on port 8080. The dreambox then acts as the upload server for the stream so that means the router ports DO need to be set/forwarded to your dreambox. So ports 8080, 21 and 80 do need forwarding to your dreambox IP ~192.168.1.5 or similar.
Then when you connect to port 8080 through your dyndns or through your external IP address it works :), but if you get an error it seems most likely because your upload speed is not good enough with those settings in the example tutorial.
Try reducing the video bitrate lots to just get it working first, then tweek it later. Also your internal LAN will now be very busy since it has the dreambox full stream going 1 way, the half stream coming back the other way, then the half stream going back to your router again to upload to the net! Lots of traffic running through your cable & router, but it is a nice simple way of uploading video.....in theory.

=Ok at this point I think its not so simple and far too many variables that can go wrong, so not just upload speed that can be a problem :(. I will spend some more time on it to try and work out something more simple but i think this is just too problematic for most people to use and are lucky with codecs and matching settings.

Last edited:
Good explanation, helps my understanding a lot.

Look forward to the next installment pinkhelmets :Drool:

i've noticed that certain channels look fine on my tv but when i stream to pc using dreamview 0.1.5 the picture breaks up

the box im using is Card sh*ring though

ive switched images now from eagle to the pli one for my dm500s and now it doesnt even show up at all on the pc

Its kind of just that. You need to create a txt document with your IP & port then save it, then rename it as a .m3u file. Then open the file with vlc at the other location. Check the tutorial for a better description on it as i cant explain as good :).

Back