Still getting picture freeze, even on 29/03/2012 image

F1Mad

Inactive User
Reaction score
I had this before on older images, and have just had it again...

Basically, hilts changing channel, the picture will remain frozen on the previous channel, even though the audio is from the newly selected channel. I haven't tried to reboot the machine from the menu yet (as the box was in the middle of recording something and i didn't want to lose that, and also don't want to risk locking up the HDD again which would mean a green screen), but I'll try and do that later...

I can honestly say ive not had the screen freeze on my twin. I have the softcam freeze due to internet issues. If your talking about encrypted channels freezing it could be down to your server.

I can honestly say ive not had the screen freeze on my twin. I have the softcam freeze due to internet issues. If your talking about encrypted channels freezing it could be down to your server.

I mentioned this in another post, please confirm if the problems are also on FTA channels.

sargie, I *do* indeed have some temporary freezing which is down to softcam/Internet (I'm monitoring ECM timings via the OSD all the time to see if it's caused by slow connections, and it seems that whenever the ECM goes past 0.5s, then I have a stutter. Driving me nuts! GRRRR!).

However, the freezing I am talking about is a complete, non-recoverable freeze! Quite literally, you can not view any video motion any more until a reboot. The system is obviously still changing channels (as you can hear the audio stream is coming from the chosen channels), and all the built in menus work, but you can no longer WATCH the channel you're choosing. I don't think it's a CAM issue because I wouldn't be getting audio either. Also. The video picture doesn't return when you go to a FTA channel.

I mentioned this in another post, please confirm if the problems are also on FTA channels.

bally12345, I'll keep an eye on whether it locks up when going between FTA channels, but I've not consciously noticed what channels it has locked up on.

OK, I've ensured that I do have the right 29/03/2012 image, and this has eventually freezed up again. To resolve the issue, I tried to restart from the Main Menu again ("Main Menu > Standby/Restart > Restart"), and this resulted in another Green Screen which needed the HDD to be disconnected before it would boot up again. So, I can safely say that whenever this picture freeze/lockup occurs, the only way to fix this is by rebooting using the power button on the unit rather than via the remote control.

And another screen freeze right now. This time, it froze whilst I was recording, so I waited until the recording had finished and stopped the timer. After this, I managed to get the picture working again on the next channel change, but then it locked up again.

It's really weird. All OSDs work (menus, channel info, etc), it's just video that goes (not just on a live channel transmission, but Los when trying to view a recording). I wish there was an easy way to restore it (eg by restarting Enigma), but alas no, it's needs a full reboot. :(

Try rebooting the cam instead of the receiver..If you're using that POS CCcam, consider moving to mgcamd as the former is carp :)

Try rebooting the cam instead of the receiver..If you're using that POS CCcam, consider moving to mgcamd as the former is carp :)

CG121, I don't know too much about Softcam stuff, only what I've learnt over the last couple of weeks trying to resolve some of my issues. If I use mgcamd, can this still talk to servers that are running CCcam? Also, what options do I have if I want to use a Sky card in this box?

I'll do as you suggest next time I get a freeze, and reboot cam (by this, do you mean stop the CCCam service and start it up again?), but I can't see how this will solve the problem because once the freeze happens, I can't get to see ANY video any more (not even from FTA channels, or as I mentioned earlier, recordings on the HardDrive that are known to be good), just audio.

Hi f1mad,

I dont want to step on others toes in this thead but have you been using the egp? If you push the egp button is the epg full ie all green with details in each box.

CG121, I don't know too much about Softcam stuff, only what I've learnt over the last couple of weeks trying to resolve some of my issues. If I use mgcamd, can this still talk to servers that are running CCcam? Also, what options do I have if I want to use a Sky card in this box?

I'll do as you suggest next time I get a freeze, and reboot cam (by this, do you mean stop the CCCam service and start it up again?), but I can't see how this will solve the problem because once the freeze happens, I can't get to see ANY video any more (not even from FTA channels, or as I mentioned earlier, recordings on the HardDrive that are known to be good), just audio.

You can add cccam lines to mgcamd (by adding them to the cccamd.list file in usr/keys. You have to ensure 1 setting is correct in the mg_cfg file too. Ensure you have the following set in the file: G: { 33 }

As for the cam, you should have a menu option to reboot the cam. I've not collected my Twin yet but should be able to play about later on to see what's what :)

Hi f1mad,

I dont want to step on others toes in this thead but have you been using the egp? If you push the egp button is the epg full ie all green with details in each box.

Hi kegnkiwi, I don't recall trying the EPG when the video freezes, but seeing as it's probably using the same "drawing" tech as other OSDs, i reckon this'll be OK. I'll have to remember to confirm this when the freeze happens again.

You can add cccam lines to mgcamd (by adding them to the cccamd.list file in usr/keys. You have to ensure 1 setting is correct in the mg_cfg file too. Ensure you have the following set in the file: G: { 33 }

As for the cam, you should have a menu option to reboot the cam. I've not collected my Twin yet but should be able to play about later on to see what's what :)

CG121, thanks for your advice. I followed it and eventually got things working with mgcamd, although I had to download mgcamd138 (the installed mgcamd130d didn't work for me).

The only thing is, I no longer seem to get any debug/data about whether a channel is FTA or encrypted (and if the latter, what server was contacted, and what the ECM was). I'd set the following line in mg_cfg, but it doesn't make a difference:
O: { 02 } root

CG121, thanks for your advice. I followed it and eventually got things working with mgcamd, although I had to download mgcamd138 (the installed mgcamd130d didn't work for me).

The only thing is, I no longer seem to get any debug/data about whether a channel is FTA or encrypted (and if the latter, what server was contacted, and what the ECM was). I'd set the following line in mg_cfg, but it doesn't make a difference:
O: { 02 } root
CCcam is better supported with skin designers when it comes to showing cam info like ecm/keys etc etc but mgcamd works better :)
I suppose if you must have that data then the best alternative is to use CCcam and add the mgcamd line(s) as N Lines in the cccam.cfg file

CCcam is better supported with skin designers when it comes to showing cam info like ecm/keys etc etc but mgcamd works better :)

I see! When I get a chance, I may have to investigate how skin designers hook up into stuff like that to display things - I've noticed a few things don't get updated correctly, so this will almost certainly be down to how those hooks are updated.

I suppose if you must have that data then the best alternative is to use CCcam and add the mgcamd line(s) as N Lines in the cccam.cfg file

I've no idea which softcam works best or not, I was simply hoping that you're greater knowledge would help me get to the route of my problem faster! :) The reason I find it handy to see that info whilst the it is happening (without needing to ssh into the machine!) is so that I can tell:
a) Which server it is connected to
b) What the ECM was
c) Whether the channel was indeed encrypted!

I *did* hope that mgcamd would maybe cure one particular problem that I think is solely due to how the Twin works with CCcam - there are times when the picture/sound freeze and when I click on the "OK" button on the remote, it miraculously starts working again! Now *that* can't be down to the other 2 factors in question (ie the quality of my internet connection, and the response time from the server).

To be honest, whatever I try, I still seem to get freezes that I simply can't accept (it drives me nuts to lose sound during a movie, or other important speech!), so that leaves me with 2 options:
a) Somehow get a Sky card to work in the Twin
b) Ditch the Twin altogether and settle for a Sky+ Box

In response to a,
I can confirm that a Sly card works with CCcam. It just needs the boxkey and frequency entered. If the channels are not available on the card, it goes for the cline.

F1 Mad
Having so many problems why not contact TM direct they might have solution to all your problems.
0208 884 0259

Back