Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starfall vs. Preloader and which Softmod?

english

Inactive User
To load Preloader from bootup you simply press and hold reset then press power on. It lets you run .dol files off Sd (even if you caused a semibrick with a dodgy wad / out of region update), and you can install the same hacks as Starfall and a lot more with a decent hacks.ini on the root of ur Sd card.

Starfall you have to have a Gamecube controller in port 1, have an Original of Zelda and *keep hacked TP save on* to boot in recovery mode.

Preloader updates regularly over wifi. Starfall doesn't update at all. Get the picture? :)

My advice; you're on 3.2e already so all you have to do is uninstall Starfall hacks with Starfall, then install Preloader, then run Cioscorp Installer and bobs yer uncle. I deleted my backup channel prior to Softmii/Riskiimodding.

Then the new Gamecube backup launcher install over the top and ur all set.

I used these files from 6bellys;

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

and the hacks.ini attached on the root of Sd card (to overwrite the one in the package).

let me know if you have a better hacks.ini ... cheers

Gamecube backup launcher;

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Last edited:
I should mention you ought to reinstall 3.2e with the modded any region changer in 6bellys files before anything as it has the option to enable region free disc channel and some other stuff. Please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Is this just for people converting from Starfall, I’ve just carried out the RiskiiMod and installed the latest Preloader and the Shopchannel fix. Should I now be doing this?

I should mention you ought to reinstall 3.2e with the modded any region changer in 6bellys files before anything as it has the option to enable region free disc channel and some other stuff. Please correct me if i'm wrong :)
think this need looking into further, what are your thoughts on this using AnyRegion Changer vs CIOS Downgrader & PreLoader I know that AnyRegion Changer will install some Starfall like hacks but do you really need them as we will install PreLoader which will let us use the same hacks, i would rather use anyregion changer as seems the easier option but do you think we should use the starfall like hacks this prog uses as preloader does these as well i believe.

Any thoughts guys?

Last edited:
hi guys

im a little confused by all this, which is to be expected from a noob.

ive read the cioscorp and riskiimod threads and now this thread on preloader. im using using TP hack on 3.2e with starfall just now. it works nicely tho seems like there is something better,

if i wanted to change to these new mods. whats the best way to go, i mean rickimod , cioscorp etc

think this need looking into further, what are your thoughts on this using AnyRegion Changer vs CIOS Downgrader & PreLoader I know that AnyRegion Changer will install some Starfall like hacks but do you really need them as we will install PreLoader which will let us use the same hacks, i would rather use anyregion changer as seems the easier option but do you think we should use the starfall like hacks this prog uses as preloader does these as well i believe.

Any thoughts guys?

Actually I asked the exact same question at the SoftMii forum and I'm also wondering why the hell we should use AnyRegion Changer. What I'm planning to do is looking what hacks AnyRegion Changer installs and see if they're present in the PreLoader hacks (I know region free stuff is). In my opinion CIOS Downgrader is way easier than AnyRegion Changer for the average guy and if PreLoader provides all the hacks we need (who needs the Y button of the GC controller if we have Starfall anyway) then get rid of ARC.

First I had Starfall and gamma Backup Loader installed (and of course all the other stuff). Got rid of the Starfall hacks, uninstalled everything installed and upgraded my Wii to 3.4E for starting over and playing around. First I used IOS Downgrader and CIOS Downgrader for getting back to 3.2E. Next I installed PreLoader (with all region free stuff and other hacks). Installed CIOSCORP and updated the Shop Channel.
Backups run great, no updates and I tested Ghost Squad (NTSC) which runs fine (besides the green bar on the bottom of the screen which I don't get with Backup Loader). Then I removed everything, updated again and downgrader using IOS Downgrader and ARC. Installed PreLoader without the region free stuff and installed CIOSCORP and Shop Updater. Same result.
Of course I only tested one Wii game (which probably have PAL settings anyway), no channels and no GC games but I have my doubts about the use of ARC.

Sorry for the double post but I thought this was a bit clearer.

hi guys

im a little confused by all this, which is to be expected from a noob.

ive read the cioscorp and riskiimod threads and now this thread on preloader. im using using TP hack on 3.2e with starfall just now. it works nicely tho seems like there is something better,

if i wanted to change to these new mods. whats the best way to go, i mean rickimod , cioscorp etc

Well actually if you're comfortable with your current situation and aren't planning on doing more stuff with your Wii, stick to your current solution.
If you however deside to go a step further (homebrew for example) or just like to play around with your Wii (hell it's fun :Dunce:) then it's best to use PreLoader instead of Starfall. What you could do is the following:

- Go into Starfall and uninstall all hacks
- Install PreLoader 0.27 (install code is HARDLUMP*)
- Boot into PreLoader (if it doesn't automatically restart your Wii and press Reset)
- Wait until you get the notification of an update and install the 0.28 update
- Boot again into PreLoader
- Go to the hacks settings and select the desired hacks
- Go to settings and select your desired settings (should set booting into SystemMenu for getting a 'normal' Wii)
- You're done and now your sort of idiot proof. No need for the TP hack on your Wii :).

* Home A Right Down Left Up Minus Plus

The hacks.ini I used is as follows:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I didn't install all hacks (skipped Move Disc Channel and Force Disc Region because the last one causes trouble) and be aware these are only for PAL Wii's. Oh yeah, it only works in PreLoader 0.28.

Well and since I'm busy anyway lets talk about RiiskiMod/CIOSCORP/SoftMii. RiiskiMod is nothing more than an old version of SoftMii which is actually a guide/package. SoftMii is the newer version of the RiiskiMod and besides being a guide it also contains a couple of things they programmed/made like a custom health screen and a new interface for the menu. Then there is CIOSCORP which is an auto installer of multiple 'hacked' IOS-es. Those hacked IOS-es are the reason why you can play backups immediately from the Disc Channel. Those IOS-es are now capable of reading backups and of course contain the trucha bug. If you'd like the play your backups from the Disc Channel, use SoftMii/CIOSCORP or whatever you'd like. If you're ok with the backup loader then stick to that. Actually I think that the must powerfull backup player is the Backup Loader in combination with CIOSCORP. The reason is simple. All IOS-es can read backups now which let us play backups via the Backup Loader that wouldn't work before (not using CIOS249) and the Backup Loader handles other region discs better than the Disc Channel with the hacks in PreLoader (try an NTSC game which doesn't have stuff for the PAL region). Hope this clear things up a bit and I'm wondering what your opinion is about all this stuff.

Last edited:
LOL still a bit bamboozled but picking up on somethings. pre loader caught my attention after english mentioned its easier to recover if semi bricked, and also ur mention of the backup loader in conjuction with cioscorp being better combination also is inviting. not the kind of guy to play around with the wii, just want it to play backups and be safe. but also recoverable should i be stupid enough to make a wrong move.

yourself and english have given me some great advice. just wanna say thanx

The hacks.ini I used is as follows:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I didn't install all hacks (skipped Move Disc Channel and Force Disc Region because the last one causes trouble) and be aware these are only for PAL Wii's. Oh yeah, it only works in PreLoader 0.28.

i made a hacks.ini for peeps who don't know how ;)

it's PAL only

Last edited:
Actually I asked the exact same question at the SoftMii forum and I'm also wondering why the hell we should use AnyRegion Changer. What I'm planning to do is looking what hacks AnyRegion Changer installs and see if they're present in the PreLoader hacks (I know region free stuff is). In my opinion CIOS Downgrader is way easier than AnyRegion Changer for the average guy and if PreLoader provides all the hacks we need (who needs the Y button of the GC controller if we have Starfall anyway) then get rid of ARC.

I wondered precisely the same thing, dos the mod 5 arc 'starfall type hacks' include anything that preloader doesn't?

could it clash? think i remember seeing those options enabled in Preloder when i first launched it.

i think to upgrade to 3.2e you ought to use the two wads, to downgrade to 3,2e you should use the mod 5 a.r.c (the one in 6bellys files) as per the tut in same package but skip the Starfall type hacks then go onto install Preloader etc. ? Cios Downgrader is easier Imo too.

:Dunce:

Sorry for the double post but I thought this was a bit clearer.

Well actually if you're comfortable with your current situation and aren't planning on doing more stuff with your Wii, stick to your current solution.
If you however deside to go a step further (homebrew for example) or just like to play around with your Wii (hell it's fun :Dunce:) then it's best to use PreLoader instead of Starfall. What you could do is the following:

- Go into Starfall and uninstall all hacks
- Install PreLoader 0.27 (install code is HARDLUMP*)
- Boot into PreLoader (if it doesn't automatically restart your Wii and press Reset)

I downloaded the Soft Mii files and copied them to my SD card. When I go to the Wii to install preloader 0.27 there is no preloader 0.27 file on my SD card but only preloader 0.26. I put the card back into my PC and there is definetely a preloader .027 file in the applications. Any idea why I`m not seeing preloader .027 on the Wii ?

I now get Preloader 0.27 to boot from my SD card but I can only get as far as the menu warning me that if I preceed then it`s at my own risk. I`ve pressed every buttonon the wii remote a hundred times and can`t get off that screen to complete the install. Am I missing some file or am i doing something wrong ?

Any help appreciated.

Press the following buttons right after each other:
Home A Right Down Left Up Minus Plus

If you're in PreLoader 0.27 wait 30 seconds and you'll get a message that there's an update available. Install this update and if PreLoader 0.28 is installed, then use the hacks.ini (not in 0.27).

Last edited:
Press the following buttons right after each other:
Home A Right Down Left Up Minus Plus

If you're in PreLoader 0.27 wait 30 seconds and you'll get a message that there's an update available. Install this update and if PreLoader 0.28 is installed, then use the hacks.ini (not in 0.27).

Gave it a try but no joy. Wasn`t sure if you were taking the piss though:)

Back