Spot the Space Station this month

**override**

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The ISS, or International Space Station to give it a proper title, will be making some ‘flybys’ this month and it should hopefully give most of North America and Europe the chance to see it streak across the evening sky – without the need for any telescopes or equipment.

The ISS is a manned space station and has been for the last decade. It is a space research laboratory where they carry out experiments in many areas that are crucial for us to understand areas of life such as gravity, biology and meteorology. There are currently 6 astronauts working the station. It is the largest spacecraft ever constructed in space and the 11 metallic modules equals the size of a football pitch ! Imagine playing hide and seek in that!

The Russian Soyuz spacecraft has been the main supplier of items and supplies and transportation for the astronauts and at the end of this month, the first private robotic cargo spacecraft called Dragon will be landing at the ISS. This was created by SpaceX and they have a $1.6 billion contract in place for a minimum of 12 trips. The Dragon spacecraft is also ideal for technology demonstrations and scientific testing of equipment.

So over the next week or two, the ISS is making some flybys. It is estimated that it will make 2 or 3, each taking only 90 minutes to go around the Earth.It travels at an astonishing 27,000 kms an hour and will be at 380km above Earth. To be in with a chance of seeing the ISS, go to this fantastic website...
[

http://spaceweather.com/flybys/country.php?PHPSESSID=sn7ed03ktkfiur7knroaf6h1t5

Wow,9.42 p.m. tonight me and the family will be in the back garden :) cheers m8

i just hope the sky clears in time for me to see it ......................

Where abouts are you as that's pretty much the time it's given me :)

the rise time it gives me is the same then the time of 9.45.... it'll be similar all over the uk.... im in leeds, zooropa from the location on his bar says devon, remember the iss is in space so ground distance wont alter that much for all of the uk id expect.

Just seen it.... Amazing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

yep just seen it :) .....

its really bright too

I think I saw it, a big bright light in the sky, it was west just sat there for ages, couldn't make anything out just the bright light like a star but brighter, was I looking at the right thing? Lol

I think I saw it, a big bright light in the sky, it was west just sat there for ages, couldn't make anything out just the bright light like a star but brighter, was I looking at the right thing? Lol

That was probably Venus you were viewing.

Thought i'd bump my thread as its a good weekend to view the station from the uk providing the weather is ok....

10:42 for me tonight in the south ill get the telescope out with the boys later.

Back