Sound Problem On PC

BIGGY007

Inactive User
Reaction score
Damm This pc is really getting on my nerves.. Ok i turned the PC on and tried to play an audio file on midea player and a message come up .....

windows media player cannot play file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it mught be inuse by another program, it might not be fucntioning properly...

The media player used to work properly before when i play audio files....i have checked all the connections and the light on the subwoofer is on so there is powere going into the speakers, i have 1 subwoofer and 2 speakers, all the wires have been checked again and again...any suggestions plssssssss

my suggestion would be to goto system properties -> hardware-> device manager.

look for any lines with an exclamation mark and report here.

i believe it is refering to the pc's sound card and not to your speakers.
look in the device manager for a yellow ! mark, that'll mean it has a problem.
and most like just needs the drivers installing.

what is OS???, yes this happened all of a sudden,

went to system properties -> hardware-> device manager.. no exclamation marks anywhere..

yes tried to play an audio file in lim*wire pro, just downloaded it from misc section ere..??

Sorry, by OS i meant Operating system (XP / VISTA / windows 98)
By your answer i gather xp, but please correct if wrong.

try browsing to c:\windows\media and try double clicking chimes.wav

I've had this before and tried all sorts of things like system restore, drivers etc. DVD's would play ok in PowerDVD so the sound card was fine, but it was fixed by going to the media player homepage

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

and downloading and installing the latest version.

Seeme like something within media player was corrupted and caused the problem.

Have looked here (try browsing to c:\windows\media and try double clicking chimes.wav) but same message comes up,

will i have to open the pc up to check if sound card has come out how will i no,

downloading media player 11 latest.. c if that helps..

if its a plug in sound card push it down to make sure its properly seated.
if its onboard sound then it can't work itself loose.
best getting rid of windows media player as its crap
and get winamp

are u gettin any sound @ all as in windows operating sounds as plugging a usb device usually makes sound ,also what sort of pc is it m8 is it an external sound card or is it built in to the motherboord let me know if its built into your board , go to ur bios and c if its diabled in there , pc `s do starnge things , try unistalling ur driver , for the sound card and install back again c how u get on and pm if u need further help

i dont no the first thing about pc;s but have followed all instaructions given now the pc doesnt even boot up (come on) is stuck on the black screen, when i turn the pc on i can here the boom from the speakers a dn then black screen verifying pool data........
boot from ATAPI CDROM: Failure.........
disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter.

help what should i do.. using my laptop now..

this is my pc spec...really old 1...

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=127578

Last edited:
i dont no the first thing about pc;s but have followed all instaructions given now the pc doesnt even boot up (come on) is stuck on the black screen, when i turn the pc on i can here the boom from the speakers a dn then black screen verifying pool data........
boot from ATAPI CDROM: Failure.........
disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter.

help what should i do.. using my laptop now..

this is my pc spec...really old 1...

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=127578

Its sound like your PC is booting from the cdrom for some reason. When you was in the BIOS u didn't mess with the hard drive did U..?

I would try and find a updated driver for your sound device/card.
Check in device manager if your card working and add the new driver and see it that helps.. If your upgraded your PC this may have conflicted with current drivers.

please listen this is very starange, i did not do anything with the settings, all i did is downloaded windows me player 11 and winanp, when i booted the system the scrren was stuck (black screen).. now i got p*ssed off and switched it off from the mains and then put it back on , sound has come back on but the system is not booting up and is still on the black screen metioning the same message as before??????????????????//

Back