Sony wins Geohot restraining order

cg010169

DW Regular
Reaction score
Sony has won a temporary restraining order against the hackers responsible for the widely-publicised PlayStation 3 security breach earlier this month.

According to documents published by PSX Scene, Sony was granted the order so as to prevent "immediate and irreparable damage to SCEA" before court proceedings proper begin.

The ruling explained that Sony "has shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its claims for violation of the DMCA and CFAA, and that it will suffer irreparable harm unless Defendant Hotz's violations are enjoined."

Duly, the restraining order prevents Hotz and his team from attempting the following:

Offering to the public, creating, posting online, marketing, advertising, promoting, installing, distributing, providing, or otherwise trafficking in any circumvention technology, products, services, methods, codes, software tools, devices, component or part thereof, including but not limited to the Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm ("ECDSA") Keys, encryption and/or decryption keys, dePKG firmware decrypter program, Signing Tools, 3.55 Firmware Jailbreak, root keys, and/or any other technologies that enable unauthorised access to and/or copying of PS3 Systems and other copyrighted works (hereinafter, "Circumvention Devices").
Providing links from any website to any other website selling, offering for sale, marketing, advertising, promoting, installing, importing, exporting, offering to the public, distributing, providing, posting, or otherwise trafficking in any Circumvention Devices.
Engaging in acts of circumvention of TPMs in the PS3 System to access, obtain, remove, or traffic in copyrighted works.
Engaging in unauthorised access to the PS3 System or the PlayStation Network in order to obtain, access, or transmit any program, code, information or command therein.
Publishing, posting, or distributing any information, code, program, instructions, video, or other mateiral obtained by circumventing TPMs in the PS3 System or by engaging in unauthorised access to the PS3 Sysytem or the PSN.
Assisting, facilitating or encouraging others to engage in the conduct set forth above in Nos. 1-5.
The court also gave Hotz 10 days to hand over any "computers, hard drives, CD-roms, DVDs, USB stick, and any other storage devices on which the Circumvention Devices are stored."

Sony began legal action against Hotz and his co-defendants earlier this month, claiming that their PlayStation 3 hack infringed on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFFA), in doing so directly enabling piracy on the platform.

Hotz then dismissed the allegations, claiming he was only being pursued in court for "making Sony mad".

"The way piracy was previously done doesn't work in my Jailbreak," he explained. "I made a specific effort while I was working on this to try to enable homebrew without enabling things I do not support, like piracy."

Sony wins Geohot restraining order PlayStation 3 News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

Must admit Sony are like a bulldog with this stuff....they know exactly what they're doing and they're not 100% as money orientated like Microsoft are hence the immediate bans rather than logging every fooker til Christmas before mass banning - knowing 70% of them will go out and buy another console. I wonder if I'm banned, fooked up once playing Dead Space 2 for an hour signed in to PSN 3 days before release! Quickly erased the logs but who knows, not updating any time soon to find out though....

who gives a fook seriously, geohot (egohot) isnt a ball player never was, he uses other peoples shit and takes credit.

even his jb was flawed using a set of keys that sony could find easy even he knew as he put a little note in asking them not to ban those keys aka blackmail.

face it this was going to happen with him or without him and ever since the hack it has been without him (even before the case).

i dont give a feck what happens to him and ive no interest in the case, i see posts but i dont follow them, couldnt give a feck either way if he wins or not as everything since hasnt come from him and i doubt even if he won we would see anything worthwhile from him (mr im against piracy - yet admitted playing mario on his ps3 ummmm).

from what i see aswell non of the other devs give a feck about him or even like him.

so question do any of you reading actually give a toss about him aswell?

yeah but regardless of outcome its not going to stop whats already started, do the peoples of the internet care what the judge says? we make are own minds up.

Agreed it won't stop this but it's just the precident it could set not necessarily for the ps3 but for later, if you get my drift.

Agreed it won't stop this but it's just the precident it could set not necessarily for the ps3 but for later, if you get my drift.

yeah i know what your saying, but either way it wont make a great deal of difference to those who will do whatever they please to there items legally or not.

it will just be either done legally (if he wins) or illegally if he loses, so in the grand picture wont change a thing to the end users who will do as they please.

yeah i know what your saying, but either way it wont make a great deal of difference to those who will do whatever they please to there items legally or not.

it will just be either done legally (if he wins) or illegally if he loses, so in the grand picture wont change a thing to the end users who will do as they please.

it will make a massive difference in the price
that some dodgey people charge to mod there console.
good luck to anyone that passes on any info that helps
others,
wether its there own work or not.

I would prefer it if the PS3 stayed closed, that way online gamine will NOT be spoilt by the cheats!

Which is exactly the reason why I am not a PC gamer..

I would prefer it if the PS3 stayed closed, that way online gamine will NOT be spoilt by the cheats!

Which is exactly the reason why I am not a PC gamer..

this is what gets me, the cheats are already on ps3 online.

they dont need cfw to cheat and use glitches ect...

theres been cheating modded lobbies ect way before this hack.

most want to use it to run homebrew and backups.. non of that points to online cheating.

the cheats are already on there and nothing will stop them from doing it.. even the mw2 game makres blamed the hack on cheating shows how much they know.

Back