Sony: PS3 to dominate in 3 to 5 years

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Departing Sony Europe president David Reeves has claimed that the PS3 is three to five years away from dominating the console market.

As he prepares to retire from Sony tomorrow after 15 years at the firm, Reeves took the opportunity to express his faith in the PS3.

"I don't think it will be next year, but in three to five years it will become dominant on the market," he told GamesIndustry.biz.

"The legacy will be that people will see a tortoise and hare situation. In a way, in the end it will be a dead heat [with Microsoft's Xbox 360]."

Reeves also pointed out that many commentators have said the "PS3 took a while to get going", but the reality is the console "caught up very quickly and confounded many of the critics from the first year".

He added: "When I see the lineup ahead, when I see what's lined up on the new product side, I'm very, very optimistic for what I see for PlayStation's future in the PAL territories."

Andrew House, Sony marketing executive for all regions, will now take over Reeves's position.

Gaming - News - Sony: PS3 to dominate in 3 to 5 years - Digital Spy

Only 3 to 5 years away!

Gee whizz.

Everyone will have moved onto the NEXT Gen of Next Gen console by then :)

In the meantime Nintendo and Microsoft will happily dominate the market. I'm sure they are both shitting bricks, worrying that some guy from Sony has predicted that old technology will dominate the market in the future.

news_2397_0.jpg

Bit of a controversial statement that I am about to make, but one that I believe to be true. The PS3 has failed due to a lack of piracy. Both earlier revisions have boomed due to piracy.

Piracy is what made the PS1 so popular, and made it the market leader that it was. Same with the PS2. PS3 sadly has no hack as of yet, so people are just movng to consoles that do have hacks, eg Wii and 360.

If a hack was released that allowed people to play backups, I would suspect that the PS3 would be the market leader within a month, and that the consoles would fly off the shelf.

Bit of a controversial statement that I am about to make, but one that I believe to be true. The PS3 has failed due to a lack of piracy. Both earlier revisions have boomed due to piracy.

Piracy is what made the PS1 so popular, and made it the market leader that it was. Same with the PS2. PS3 sadly has no hack as of yet, so people are just movng to consoles that do have hacks, eg Wii and 360.

If a hack was released that allowed people to play backups, I would suspect that the PS3 would be the market leader within a month, and that the consoles would fly off the shelf.

Absolutely.

However the Wii's runaway success isn't as easily explained, and Microsofts price point is a huge bonus.

360 Arcades can be bought for under £100 now, about £96 in ASDA just now.

Last edited:
im not sure piracy would be as popular on the ps3 due to people having to fork out on expensive blu ray media!

im not sure piracy would be as popular on the ps3 due to people having to fork out on expensive blu ray media!

The price would drop if there was a greater demand for the discs mate.

I know just about everyone on this forum would happily pay the price of a blank BD instead of the real retail price for the games.

Only if a hack comes will PS3 dominate at present the price is too high for the console and the games prices are also high but that is expected!

Hopefully a hack will be out soon then i can see many people getting themselves a PS3 or using the ones they currently have as show pieces lol

But DL media was very expensive only a few years ago, my first DL burner was £150 Blu-ray writers are the same now, the media is also comparable in price (except for those insanely expensive 50gb jobbies)

But DL media was very expensive only a few years ago, my first DL burner was £150 Blu-ray writers are the same now, the media is also comparable in price (except for those insanely expensive 50gb jobbies)

I paid £176 for my pioneer 104. And media was over £3 a disk. Only a hack will save the PS3 from being a disaster. Perhaps sony will realise this soon, and release a hack like sega did on the dreamcast.

Absolutely.

360 Arcades can be bought for under £100 now, about £96 in ASDA just now.

Yes and with PC Worlds 110% price match you can get it for under £90.

/edit
Just checked pcw looks like they have pulled all arcades from stores too lol

i tried to reserve n collect not a single store has in stock and i tried all major cities in uk lol.

and release a hack like sega did on the dreamcast.
lol i didnt know that, i remember a while a go the speculation was when the price of blu-ray discs & writers fall then the hack would come along but lets be honest if that was the case the hack would be about just not cheap to do with the rate that sony release fw upgrades i dont think there will be a hack released its been a long time since the ps3 release and weve heard nothing except bollocks from people claiming to have done it. if they had more ps3 only games released they would do themselves a favour if i fancied the game i would consider getting it but if i can download the same game for the 360 why bother i know thats not the most honest/legal way to look at it but its the truth and i know im not the only one lol in the past on other consoles you could name 5 games in seconds that where exclusive to one platform but tbh i couldnt name two for the ps3 off the top of my head now or is there loads and im not spending enough time in this section.:)

Well the rumours were that Sega released it at the time. Perhaps it was speculation, but the result was the same. The dreamcast took off.

The truth was infact the exact opposite.

SEGA (allegedly) offered Kalisto a massive cash incentive if they agreed to stop releasing self-booting pirated game discs. On their last game release Kalisto announced that they had received the offer and they would no longer be releasing Dreamcast rips, they stuck to their word and released no more. By this time however it was too late, the Utopia disc was mainstream and other groups had started doing their own self-booting backups.

I used to download my Dreamcast backups on my trusty 56kbps modem :)

The truth was infact the exact opposite.

SEGA (allegedly) offered Kalisto a massive cash incentive if they agreed to stop releasing self-booting pirated game discs. On their last game release Kalisto announced that they had received the offer and they would no longer be releasing Dreamcast rips, they stuck to their word and released no more. By this time however it was too late, the Utopia disc was mainstream and other groups had started doing their own self-booting backups.

I used to download my Dreamcast backups on my trusty 56kbps modem :)

yeah, great days. Never knew that about kalisto. But as you said, the boot disk was already out by then. With the rotating reindeer. lmao

lol i didnt know that, i remember a while a go the speculation was when the price of blu-ray discs & writers fall then the hack would come along but lets be honest if that was the case the hack would be about just not cheap to do with the rate that sony release fw upgrades i dont think there will be a hack released its been a long time since the ps3 release and weve heard nothing except bollocks from people claiming to have done it. if they had more ps3 only games released they would do themselves a favour if i fancied the game i would consider getting it but if i can download the same game for the 360 why bother i know thats not the most honest/legal way to look at it but its the truth and i know im not the only one lol in the past on other consoles you could name 5 games in seconds that where exclusive to one platform but tbh i couldnt name two for the ps3 off the top of my head now or is there loads and im not spending enough time in this section.:)

Yeah but the psp has upgrades but it is still hacked to pieces as does the wii and 360.

fair enough lol your spot on mate

lol i know were your coming from though m8ty a drive hack would be nice i know nothing about hacking but it does seem strange this aint been done yet.

Back