So Sad Tragic mum's one kiss for newborn

fisco2001

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know its a sun story
but soo sad bought tear to my eye.

A TRAGIC young mum lived only long enough to hold and kiss her newborn son before being struck down in the delivery room by a rare medical condition, an inquest heard.

Medics spent almost an hour-and-a-half trying to save Julie Welsh, 28, after she suffered a heart attack when the fluid surrounding her son in the womb seeped into her blood stream.

The condition — amniotic fluid embolism — affects only 18-in-a-million women and kills up to 80 per cent of them.

But the hearing was told that there was no way of knowing she was suffering from the condition or that anything could have been done to save her.

Pretty Julie had only given birth to Isaac seconds before she suddenly lost consciousness.

Her fiancé, Pete Brown, wept as he told the inquest of the moments immediately after his son's birth.

He said: "Julie seemed fine so I asked if she wanted to see Isaac and I left her for a minute, then took Isaac over to see her.

"She saw him, smiled and made a comment about his hair and things like that. Then her eyes just shut."

Sporty Julie — who won eight national judo championships between the ages of 12 and 22 — was admitted to Royal Derby Hospital on April 5 this year after going into labour at home.

A decision was taken to give her an emergency caesarean section at 10.35pm because she had not dilated, despite many hours in labour.

The surgery was also chosen because there was concern about the baby.

The operation went well but, only minutes after Isaac was born, his mother suffered the fatal heart attack.

She was pronounced dead at 12.20am on April 6.

Consultant anaesthetist Dr Roberto Caranza said there were no records of any mothers at Derby's hospitals ever having the condition.

Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner, Dr Robert Hunter, told Peter from Long Eaton, Derby, and other members of Julie's grieving family: "One minute you're on cloud nine with the baby and within an hour-and-a-half you're in deepest despair.

"I can't begin to imagine what that is like.

"I can't say there's anything good to come from this but you have Isaac and part of Julie will always be with you when you have Isaac there."

Dr Hunter said the deadly condition resulted from "the natural process of childbirth".

He said: "Unfortunately, it cannot be predicted, there are no tests or factors that can be assessed.

"Furthermore, there's no specific treatment that can be offered and therefore it's not preventable."

Peter, who had planned to marry his fiancé after being together for five years, is bringing up Isaac with help of his and Julie's families.

He said after the hearing: "Julie held him for just a few moments before she lost consciousness.

"She even managed to joke about her son's full head of dark hair and that the old wives' tale about unborn babies with lots of hair causing heartburn must be true.

Advertisement
Quantcast

"I am thankful that Julie had been given the chance to hold her son before she died.

"Isaac's got lots of friends and family and he loves getting cuddles from his daddy."

He said Isaac has been given the middle name "Jules" in memory of his mum.

The couple met on holiday in Blackpool while Julie was living with her parents in her native Blyth, Northumberland.

Verdict: Natural causes.

Tragic mum's one kiss for newborn | The Sun |News

Back