Smart meters are coming

idrob

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Smart meters - all you need to know

Smart meters are often described as the next generation of meters because they are cleverer than today's standard gas and electricity meters. It's a bit like the difference between an ordinary phone and a smart phone.
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
Code:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently they’ve been around for some time but I only heard about them yesterday on LBC radio.

I suppose it depends on where you live

hope i can keep my old hackable one for a while yet keep declining the offer to upgrade
but wont be long till forced upon all sadly

A burglars paradise Gentlemen. Someone bent working for the company perhaps will know when you are in? and out?by the amount of energy you are using. I wouldn't bother to be honest it's another Big brother effort to control our lives.

I believe you can have one installed in 'dumb mode'...

in dumb mode they apparently only send info to supplier once a month on how much gas or electric as been used.

I've been swatting up on them for a few days,but can't yet find out if they'll be compulsory at some point.

The in-house displays are a ludicrous waste of money (our money). Apparently the people who have had them fitted enjoy the novelty for a week or two and then ignore them completely.

Privacy & Security

There are concerns from some groups concerning security of the data or privacy. Smart Meters have been built to the latest security standards and are very secure. Suppliers have to ask your permission to collect meters readings on daily basis, so you have control. Without your permission they can only collect meter readings on a monthly basis. Like any technical secure system today, such as banks and NHS systems, the weakest link is probably the staff involved along the way. If you are happy to use on-line systems for other purposes such as banking, it's likely you'll also be happy with your Smart Meter. If you have concerns you can ask your supplier to only collect one meter reading a month, this reveals very little about you.

Questions & Answers

Can I refuse to have a smart meter installed?
Yes. You are under no obligation to have a smart meter installed in your home. You can discuss any concerns you have about smart meters with your supplier. Many energy companies have dedicated teams to handle questions about the technology and the installation process.

Are smart meters safe?
Yes. DECC (Department of Energy and Climate Change) have stated that all smart meters are subject to the same safety regulations and testing of any in-home technological devices, including baby monitors and mobile phones.

Can my supply be turned off remotely?
Smart meters have the facility to remotely disconnect and reconnect both the electricity and gas supply. However most suppliers seem to have decided it is too dangerous to remotely disconnect or reconnect, as in the case of disconnection they cannot always be sure that the customer isn't relying on a supply for serious health reasons and in the case of reconnection the customer may have left a cooker on for example.

What will energy companies do with the information they collect about my energy consumption?
Under Ofgem codes published July 2013, you can dictate how much data your energy supplier can retrieve from your smart meter and whether your supplier can share that info with third parties. You can also decide whether or not your supplier can use that information for marketing purposes.

Why is two way communications important?
Smart meters send meter reading and event information to suppliers. Supplier can send product and payment details to the meter when you want to change your product or payment terms. Additionally this two way communications will support Pay As You Go in the future.

Why are smart meters controversial?
Whilst earlier conversations about smart meters focused on safety (which you can read more about in Campaigns Against), more recent criticisms have sprung from how the government and suppliers are handling the roll-out. From cost to customer communication, the plan to get a smart meter into every home by 2020 has been a bumpy ride so far. In early 2014, EDF Energy, ScottishPower and npower called for a review of the roll-out, stating the cost to customers would be £1.8 billion. This, they said, was due to the "ambitious" deadline of every household in four years and the cost of the Smart Meter Displays. The cost is ultimately paid by customers through measures on their energy bills. Instead, suppliers proposed, customers could link up their smart meter to their smartphone or tablet to save cost. In 2013, independent research commissioned by uSwitch found that 55% of us were "in the dark" about smart meters. That meant households did not understand what smart meters did and how they could benefit them. However, later studies of those with actual smart meters in their homes enjoyed more accurate billing and were more satisfied with their providers.

Who owns the Meter?
Traditionally the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) owned all the meters but the Supplier led rollout means that the suppliers must purchase or rent the Smart Meters. As you as a customer change supplier a rental fee for the meter will be exchanged between your supplier and the owner of the meter.

What is the cost of the meters?
Traditional meters or dumb meters lasted for about 40 years and cost about £10. Electricity Smart Meters cost about £50, gas meters about £80. The life is not yet certain but expected to be from 10 to 15 years.

Can I have a smart meter if I'm a prepayment customer?
Yes. Smart meters work in both credit and prepayment modes. In fact, prepayment customers will have more flexible payment options available to them with smart meters, including remote top-up facilities.

What are the benefits of having a smart meter?
There are a number of benefits if you have smart meters:

• More accurate bills
• Smart meters mean the end of estimated bills, and the end of overpaying (or underpaying) for your energy
• No one has to come to your home to read your meter; you do not have to submit meter readings yourself
• Better oversight and management of your energy use with a real-time data display in your home

What is the cost of the Smart Meter Display (previously known as an IHD or HEM)?
Smart Meter Displays (previously known as In Home Displays or Home Energy Monitors) are expected to cost suppliers about £25. Some suppliers are expected to offer enhanced Displays at a cost to the customers.

Why is my Smart Meter being replaced with another?
The specification for Smart Meters has only recently been agreed and manufacturers have only just started making meters to the standard. Therefore older Smart Meters which cannot be upgraded to the latest standard will have to be replaced.

Updated: 20th July 2015

Code:

Back