Slow Cooker Recipes - Low Fat/Low Carb/Healthy ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

Purchased one of these yesterday and did 4 chicken breasts in white wine/rosemary/6 cloves garlic/seasoning/touch olive oil.

Had it with steamed Brocolli/carrots BUT then added about 4 slices bread and 2 cans coke....lol

Anyone got any recipes ?

And yes i have been on Mumsnet...

Cheers

One piece of advice. If you're going do do chicken in a slow cooker, use chicken on the bone e.g. thighs or drumsticks. They're much tastier for slow cooking than breast.

You could try to make a veg soup, i generally just use a stock pot but you can do it in these too.

Serves 4-6

2-3 Large Leeks (sliced)
2 Onions (sliced)
6-8 Medium Carrots (sliced)
3 Celery Sticks (sliced)
3 Small-Medium potatoes (diced)
1 Bag of Lentils (this is used to thicken the soup and gives it a creamy/thicker consistency)
2-3 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper
2 Chicken & 2 Vegetable Stock pots (I've found combining the two gives a much better taste) - about 2000ml

You can also add ham off the bone if you want a bit of meat to it (one of those ham shanks from the butcher in ASDA/Tesco etc will do) - this however adds quite a bit of fat/calories into it.

Throw it all in and make sure the veg is covered with the stock, use more if desired.

Additionally if you don't like it chunky, either make the veg smaller or use a hand blender when its cooked.

The other quick way with the veg is to buy packets of ready cut mixed vegetable packs (about 3 packs depending on how many its for)

Serve with warm crusty buttered bread.

I usually end up making far to much and give it away, but the family don't mind and are always on at me to make more.

Last edited:
Buy a shoulder of pork, can be a cheap one, basics or value.

In a large freezer bag mix together a load of paprika, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, chilli powder if you wanna add some heat, salt and pepper.

Cut the string and rind off the pork and pop it in the bag with the mix. Shake it and rub it until the joint is completely coated in the mix. Put it in the fridge to marinate the longer the better.

Then chuck it in the slow cooker sitting in a couple of inches of beer. Leave it on low for as long as possible 8-12 hours. Take it out and shred it on a plate or in a bowl (it should just fall apart) spoon over some of the juice. Serve warm in a roll or pita with some lettuce and bbq sauce. Lovely!

You can put anything you want in the mix if you want to. Some people add honey and Worcester sauce.

Putting mine on tonight before I go to bed ready for lunch tomorrow.

Buy a shoulder of pork, can be a cheap one, basics or value.

In a large freezer bag mix together a load of paprika, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, chilli powder if you wanna add some heat, salt and pepper.

Cut the string and rind off the pork and pop it in the bag with the mix. Shake it and rub it until the joint is completely coated in the mix. Put it in the fridge to marinate the longer the better.

Then chuck it in the slow cooker sitting in a couple of inches of beer. Leave it on low for as long as possible 8-12 hours. Take it out and shred it on a plate or in a bowl (it should just fall apart) spoon over some of the juice. Serve warm in a roll or pita with some lettuce and bbq sauce. Lovely!

You can put anything you want in the mix if you want to. Some people add honey and Worcester sauce.

Putting mine on tonight before I go to bed ready for lunch tomorrow.

Oops forgot to mention dark brown sugar. lol, hope i haven't just ruined someones pork joint!

Back