SKY SPORTS Team of the Year

davidh

<font color="RED">Administrator</font>
VIP Member
Reaction score
Skysports.com reveals the stars of the season as voted for by the readers

Skysports.com decided to give you the chance to vote for your stars of the season after the Professional Footballers' Association dished out their annual awards.

We wanted to see if you agreed with their choice of players for Team of the Year and have been providing several options for each position over the past few weeks.

The feedback came flooding in and we can now compile the best side of the 2008/9 campaign as voted for by the supporters.

Only five members of the PFA's team have made our list, with official Player of the Year Ryan Giggs missing out.

In fact there is just one player from champions Manchester United, while there are four from Everton and a number of other surprises throughout the XI.

Goalkeeper - Edwin van der Sar

There is no disagreement in the No.1 position as Manchester United shot-stopper Van der Sar gets the nod ahead of our other candidates - Pepe Reina, Mark Schwarzer, Shay Given, Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, Robert Green and Chris Kirkland. The 38-year-old set a new Premier League record of 1,311 minutes without conceding a goal and United's watertight backline was undoubtedly a key factor behind their success.

Right-back - Glen Johnson

The Portsmouth player was named in the PFA XI and has also proved popular with readers, beating off competition from our other seven suggestions - Alvaro Arbeloa, Jose Bosingwa, Vedran Corluka, Mario Melchiot, John Pantsil, Bacary Sagna and Gretar Steinsson. Johnson enjoyed a superb campaign in an ordinary Pompey side, combining his attacking flair with much more consistent defending and his performances also caught the eye of England boss Fabio Capello.

Centre-back - Matthew Upson

Every good team needs a reliable centre-back pairing and we gave you 14 options to cover the two places, which were filled by Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic in the PFA selection. You have opted for West Ham defender Upson in one spot after he helped Gianfranco Zola's men challenge for European qualification. The former Arsenal man turned in a series of fine displays and also established himself as an important member of the England squad.

Centre-back - Phil Jagielka

Jagielka's season finished in disappointing fashion as he suffered a serious knee injury and missed the FA Cup final defeat to Chelsea. Everton will feel they would have had a better chance of claiming glory had Jagielka been fit, as the 26-year-old was one of their most assured performers of the year and can take a lot of credit for the Toffees' excellent defensive record.

Left-back - Leighton Baines

Patrice Evra secured the left-back berth for the PFA and was also in contention for this award along with Fabio Aurelio, Ashley Cole, Gael Clichy, Maynor Figueroa, Herita Ilunga and Paul Konchesky. But it is Baines who has gained the recognition of the readers after a stunning second season at Goodison Park. The former Wigan ace was extremely solid at the back and got forward well, providing a threat with his pace and crossing ability.

Right midfielder - Mikel Arteta

Cristiano Ronaldo looked a shoo-in for this position but Arteta has come out top in the poll, seeing off the Manchester United winger and other rivals Simon Davies, Dirk Kuyt, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Antonio Valencia and Theo Walcott. The Spanish schemer suffered a season-ending injury in February but had already made an enormous impact, bringing a different dimension to the Everton side with his vision, creativity and set-piece prowess.

Central midfielder - Steven Gerrard

Giggs may have been overlooked in one of our most competitive categories but Gerrard, who also figured in the PFA team, has proved impossible to ignore. The midfielder was inspirational in Liverpool's ultimately unsuccessful push for the title and delivered the kind of numbers any striker would be proud of, notching 16 goals and numerous other assists, to strengthen his claims to be called the best central midfielder in the world.

Central midfielder - Xabi Alonso

Joining Gerrard in the heart of midfield is his Liverpool colleague Alonso, who was widely tipped to leave Anfield before the start of the season. Rafa Benitez has made it clear the Spaniard will not be leaving now after he had arguably his best campaign with the club. The stylish 27-year-old can play passes that most players can only dream about and also appears to have added more steel to his game.

Left midfielder - Steven Pienaar

The selection of Pienaar will perhaps raise the most eyebrows after the South African received more votes than PFA favourite Ashley Young and our other six candidates - Chris Brunt, Clint Dempsey, Park Ji-sung, Florent Malouda, Samir Nasri and Matthew Taylor. Pienaar has steadily improved throughout the season, adding more goals and assists to his game, while he remains a tenacious character and a formidable opponent.

Striker - Fernando Torres

We offered up ten possible choices for the two positions up front and Gabriel Agbonlahor, Carlton Cole, Peter Crouch, Kevin Davies, Ricardo Fuller, Robinho, Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie have fallen by the wayside. Torres takes our first place after continuing to bang in the goals in his second season at Anfield. The former Atletico Madrid star produced some breathtaking moments of magic and Liverpool fans must have been left wondering what could have been achieved if he had not had to deal with several niggling injuries.

Striker - Nicolas Anelka

Our strikers mirror those of the PFA as Anelka lines up alongside Torres in attack to give third-placed Chelsea their sole representative. The French striker finished as the leading scorer in the Premier League after demonstrating his deadly finishing skills on 19 occasions, while he was also willing to work hard for the team and sometimes operated away from his preferred central role.

and now

Garth Crooks' team of the season

By Garth Crooks
BBC football reporter and Score pundit

Here it is, my final Premier League XI for the 2008/2009 season, which is partly based on my team of the week selections but also my overall view of the campaign now it has finished.

What do you make of Garth's team of the season?
During this rollercoaster ride of a season I have rewarded clean sheets, penalty saves, goalscorers, assists and downright good play.
If your team loses you have to be outstanding to take the place of players who have achieved what the game is all about - winning!
So here is my team of the season, playing in a 4-4-2 formation. What do you think of my selection?

SHAY GIVEN (goalkeeper)
Man City

Shay Given's outstanding performances for Newcastle and clean sheets for Manchester City following his transfer to Eastlands in February ensured he featured a number of times in my team of the week selections.
Arsenal's Manuel Almunia and Bolton's Jussi Jaaskelainen are worth honourable mentions behind the Republic of Ireland international.
Manchester United keeper Edwin van der Sar helped his side set a clean sheet record of 14 games without conceding a goal in the Premier League but he did not grab all the headlines because he also had an outstanding defence in front of him.

JOSE BOSINGWA (defender)
Chelsea

Chelsea's Jose Bosingwa wins the honour of taking the right-back slot in my XI.
He arrived from Porto in May 2008 and his raids down the flank became a feature under Luiz Felipe Scolari's short reign as Blues boss as well as under interim coach Guus Hiddink.

JOHN TERRY (defender)
Chelsea

John Terry's quiet consistency became crucial for Chelsea this season, particularly in the absence of last year's winner Ricardo Carvalho, who was hit by injury problems.
This position was keenly contested, with players like West Ham's Matthew Upson and Tottenham's Ledley King also staking a claim.

NEMANJA VIDIC (defender)
Man Utd

Nemanja Vidic overcame a shaky period for Manchester United before winning the right to partner Chelsea's John Terry in my team.
The Serbia defender spent the early part of the season competing with Aston Villa's Martin Laursen, whose season was again hindered by injury and who was forced to announce his retirement from the game in May. We wish Martin well.

PATRICE EVRA (defender)
Man Utd

Manchester United's Patrice Evra fought off a late challenge from usual suspect Ashley Cole of Chelsea to take the left-back slot for the second consecutive season.
Interestingly enough, Merseyside favourites, Everton's Leighton Baines and Emiliano Insua of Liverpool, were not far behind.

ASHLEY YOUNG (midfielder)
Aston Villa

Ashley Young's exhilarating runs provided Aston Villa with a real cutting edge and his consistency this season has been rewarded with a place on the left of midfield.
The former Watford man fought off a late challenge from Florent Malouda, whose recent form put him in contention.
Young won the Professional Footballers' Association Young Player of the Year award - says it all really.

XABI ALONSO (midfielder)
Liverpool

Xabi Alonso's outstanding performances for Liverpool could not go unnoticed.
In the most hotly contested department, the Spaniard came through to join the following three midfielders I've named below, pipping the likes of Manchester City's Robinho, Chelsea's Frank Lampard and Manchester United's Ryan Giggs.

STEVEN GERRARD (midfielder)
Liverpool

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard deserves special praise. He is the only player to be selected in my team of the season for the third consecutive campaign.
Once again, his consistent performances proved to be the Anfield side's driving force.
The only title the England midfielder won this season, the football writers' award, was a fitting tribute.

CRISTIANO RONALDO (midfielder)
Man Utd

Cristiano Ronaldo could not add the Champions League trophy to another Premier League title, with United also winning the Club World Cup and the Carling Cup, but arguably the world's number one player had no problem nailing his spot in the XI for the second consecutive season.

FERNANDO TORRES (striker)
Liverpool

Fernando Torres makes it into my team for the second season running.
The Spanish striker has had the most outstanding 12 months.
Last season, he finished with a record-breaking goal tally, then picked the German side's pockets during the Euro 2008 final, brushed his teeth, packed his bags and returned to the Premier League to frighten the life out of Manchester United as Rafael Benitez's side fought their rivals all the way before losing out in the title battle.
Rotation Rafa? Save it for the lightweights!

NICOLAS ANELKA (striker)
Chelsea

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka has produced the goals and the performances that have won him this season's Golden Boot.
'Nuff said!

ROY HODGSON (manager)
Fulham

Roy Hodgson's Fulham is an expression of the man. Cool under pressure, understated, authoritative but fair.
The sort of manager I would like to have played under.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
Stoke boss Tony Pulis may not have his team playing the most attractive brand of football but the passion of the manager and the support of the fans can be a terrifying combination. Rule Britannia!
Defender Brede Hangeland has been a rock for Fulham and one of the reasons for their outstanding season.
A long-term injury to Everton midfield maestro Mikel Arteta stopped him from playing a bigger part in this season's selections.

The Sky Sports team of the year is a joke..
No Vidic or Ronaldo?? lol please

why the hell is Peinar there??

lol @ sly sports team.. upson and jagielka ahead of vidic, pienaar ahead of ronaldo and ashley young.................?

lol @ sly sports team.. upson and jagielka ahead of vidic, pienaar ahead of ronaldo and ashley young.................?

its done by viewers voting not the sky sports team themselves, otherwise i doubt quarter of everton squad would be in there especially player like arteta who only played half a season

Even more laughable is Garth Crooks manager of the year Roy Hodgson!!! please tell me you don't think cause he kept Fulham in the EPL that qualify's you for that title...the guy's a fud, David Moyes surely no?

:Cheers:

Even more laughable is Garth Crooks manager of the year Roy Hodgson!!! please tell me you don't think cause he kept Fulham in the EPL that qualify's you for that title...the guy's a fud, David Moyes surely no?

I would agree with you in saying that David Moyes had a better season than Roy Hodgson. Everton did incredibly well to finish 5th and get to the FA cup final without having a recognised striker for much of the season.

Whilst I personally don't think Hodgson was the best manager, I still think he's had a very good season. Getting European football is a huge achievement for Fulham especially when a lot of people thought they'd struggle this year.

Back