Sky buys Virgin Media Television (VMtv)

Highlander

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Today we’re announcing that we’ve agreed to buy Virgin Media Television (VMtv) - the owner of channels including Living, Bravo and Challenge - from Virgin Media for up to £160 million.

This move will enhance our content business and expand our portfolio of basic pay TV channels. Financially, it means we will no longer have to pay fees to Virgin Media to carry these channels on our platform and we will benefit from increased wholesale and advertising revenues.

In addition, we have signed new long-term carriage agreements, which means our basic channels will continue to be distributed on Virgin Media’s cable TV service. Our basic HD channels and a selection of premium HD channels will become available from Virgin Media for the first time. Virgin Media will also make a range of Sky content available through its on-demand services.

Jeremy Darroch explained the thinking behind the deal: “VMtv is an attractive investment opportunity which complements our existing content business and delivers strategic and financial benefits.”

“We’ll look forward to welcoming VMtv into Sky so that our enlarged channel line-up becomes even more valuable to our customers over time," he said.

Regulatory approval is required before any of this can happen, so there will be no immediate changes. The regulatory process has begun and is likely to take several months.

Details in this article were correct at time of publishing: 04/06/2010 11:39

there only buying the channels , not them out right , now virgin are n3 they will get sky hd channels as well , which is about time

Wonder if they were to get movies hd and sport hd would they have to then charge extra for hd? Sly wouldn't want them being able to offer their top services at no extra cost while sly charge surely?

Wonder if they were to get movies hd and sport hd would they have to then charge extra for hd? Sly wouldn't want them being able to offer their top services at no extra cost while sly charge surely?

I hope VM don't charge for the extra HD channels that will come, will make Sky drop their tenner a month. Rumours have been going round that Sky will drop the fee sometime his year, so having this extra competition might give them the push.
I so wanted it to be that sky invested in the VM boardband side as well. As im with VM for the internet and if it wasn't for the slow speed that BT offer i would of went with sky's boardband

Sky are just being greedy!lol but as long as the don't make any uncessesary changes i don't really mind.

Back