Sky Broadband unlimited?

Smok3y666

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just spoke to VM to cancel my services and switch to sky and they told me that although Sky are offering unlimited broadband that because it runs on BT's services you are actually capped to BT's fair usage policy of 40GB per month. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Not true at all. There's a free one and a pay for one when tough take out all three services. The free ones is capped and the one where you pay 7 odd quid a month is frilly unlimited and not speed capped or anything.
I know this because I have been on it for about 5 months now and all bar one month it has gone over 50gb plus. You will get different answers from different people at virgin regarding anything you ask the, i been with them over 15years that's why i left them cos of their inconsistancy.

sky may also try and move you over to there system, they call it an upgrade but it means they take you off the bt system. You'll notice no difference until you try and change broadband and it cost £125.00 to reconnect to the bt network.

also dependant on whether Sky actually can provide unlimited broadband for your address. For example i'm moving in around 4 weeks time to my first house and can only have internet from Sky, Talk Talk or BT. Yet the only ones out of these who say they give unlimited broadband on the line are Talktalk and this is probably about a quarter or a mile from the local exchange at most.

You can check what Sky can provide here for your address by entering your landline number or using the address checker.

Ive had sky bb unlimited for over a year now and although i only get 3meg out of it, i download a lot and have never been told anything about fair usage or caps :)

Ive had sky bb unlimited for over a year now and although i only get 3meg out of it, i download a lot and have never been told anything about fair usage or caps :)

Same here but i have had sky for 2 years...

im on the £7.50 a month an pretty much maxin out my connection 6-7hrs a day. Never seem to have been capped.

sky may also try and move you over to there system, they call it an upgrade but it means they take you off the bt system. You'll notice no difference until you try and change broadband and it cost £125.00 to reconnect to the bt network.

I've had this issue. House I've just moved into had a Sky line. It cost me £59 to transfer is over to another provider (Orange in this case).

I have a relation on vm national because cable has not been laid.They get less than 1 meg broadband 700 actually.When they approached vm on the phone they said its because they live out in the sticks?. wtf is that all about?. They are now in the process of going to sky.Will this be any better?.

I have a relation on vm national because cable has not been laid.They get less than 1 meg broadband 700 actually.When they approached vm on the phone they said its because they live out in the sticks?. wtf is that all about?. They are now in the process of going to sky.Will this be any better?.

probably not ,it might well be they are to far from an exchange. my brother is on virmin adsl, gets 12mb as second (1.2Mb) its the fastest i have seen through a phone line.

probably not ,it might well be they are to far from an exchange. my brother is on virmin adsl, gets 12mb as second (1.2Mb) its the fastest i have seen through a phone line.

I have a dongle that is faster than my relations internet.They are going to cancel vm on monday and sign up to sky. I hope they are going to get a better service.

I have a dongle that is faster than my relations internet.They are going to cancel vm on monday and sign up to sky. I hope they are going to get a better service.

if they have sky tv at least it would be cheaper for them.

probably not ,it might well be they are to far from an exchange.

Agreed. I used to live out in the sticks about 7 years ago and when I first moved there, I couldn't even get ADSL and had to live with dial up. Once ADSL was available, I could only get about 256kbps at first and it was so unreliable and constantly dropped out. By the time I moved out in early 2007, the line was up to 1Mb and more reliable. The place I moved to from there was the same exchange but closer and I was getting 4Mb.

If you can get a decent 3G signal where you are on your phone, it may be worth investing in mobile broadband. It'll cost you about the same as home broadband but you may see better speeds if Sky is no better.

Agreed. I used to live out in the sticks about 7 years ago and when I first moved there, I couldn't even get ADSL and had to live with dial up. Once ADSL was available, I could only get about 256kbps at first and it was so unreliable and constantly dropped out. By the time I moved out in early 2007, the line was up to 1Mb and more reliable. The place I moved to from there was the same exchange but closer and I was getting 4Mb.

If you can get a decent 3G signal where you are on your phone, it may be worth investing in mobile broadband. It'll cost you about the same as home broadband but you may see better speeds if Sky is no better.

very tru but the download limits are very restrictive. its a real bummer for people so far from exchanges

So if I move over completely to Sky and have line rental from them plus the full unlimited bb I will be okay abd VM are talking crap?

So if I move over completely to Sky and have line rental from them plus the full unlimited bb I will be okay abd VM are talking crap?

Depends on your distance from the exchange (something that does not effect cable internet). Check the samknows links I posted or ask your neighbours is the best thing.

As mentioned the 40GB a month bandwidth is an outright lie (and if you've got it in writing, I'm sure Sky and Ofcom will be very interested).

Actual connection speed will depend on your line quality and distance from the exchange. There is a "guestimate" facility on the BT site, which I believe takes the average speed of their customers for your postcode/area: Broadband internet speed test - connection checker – BT.com I'd expect Sky's BB to reach at least the estimated speed most of the time as they have fewer issues with contention. (My mate, who is with Sky, gets close to 16MB, yet lives approx a mile away from the exchange (as the crow flies).)

I don't have it in writing im afraid, it's what they told me to get me to stay with them. I'm only 1/2 a mile away from the exchange.

Back