Sky attacks ITV over HD exclusivity

shame ITV & BBC couldn't purchase all the rights for footy etc then run them at a loss for a year or so and cattle Sky.

New beginning

Well i thinks its all been said,

Id like to see the free channels ie bbc itv and the rest being encrypted on the sky card and tell sky they cant show them without paying the tv channels high fees,
instead of the other way round,
or just be encypted so they cant be seen ,on the sky box, and let freesat be the major player,
tell them what they said to Branson,theve made megga money in the past , so now it may be time to buy some hankys with it.

Sky arent allowed the power to say, thats the whole point why virgin & itv said it should not be allowed to purchase the shares in the first place. Which is also why they have to sell them.

I think the situation is good in that ITV have the bargaining upperhand as in Digidudes post above. This is good in that it will force sky to listen and take notice. Doesnt mean sky will agree any deal, as we know from the experience with sky1/virgin. But in this case i think sky may get the message that there are other broadcasters in this country and its time to get real. Certainly this is the plan from ITV, to make sky take notice. Its not the plan to lose viewers or annoy the public, so I am sure they will be at the table ready for discussion.

As for freesat having exclusives, that may be likely.

@Digidude have you thought yet how they could make use of the ethernet port? It opens up all sorts of extras, even Pay-tv upgrades could be added, just like how cardshares work- signal by satellite, permissions by network. :)

hmmmmmmmm firmware hacks and ethernet port used for something other than streaming video over the net come to mind but ive said enough

PIJ

@Digidude have you thought yet how they could make use of the ethernet port? It opens up all sorts of extras, even Pay-tv upgrades could be added, just like how cardshares work- signal by satellite, permissions by network. :)

the BBCi feature is, in my eyes, a brilliant ides, ive yet to even see a freesat box though lol, i might buy one in a few weeks time just to play with. but if the whole BBCi library is available on your telly, just through the remote, then its a step in the right direction, and blows skys 'anytime tv' right out of the water

again the C/S thoughts, couls allow freesat only exclusives, such as boxing events, rally finals etc, sky sports, sky box office, or freesat with no sub, but is soft encrypted and the key via ethernet

nearly limitless possibilities using a real satellite receiver, and not some sly branded crap :)

Yes thats the idea. Ethernet does not need to be about hacking and sharing, the same principles can be applied for legitimate services.
Just like in the old days, all mp3 downloads were pirate and illegal, but the method became so popular that it became a 'norm' for legit music to be sold this way.

Cardsharing is known for being used illegally, but why not develope the idea for perfectly legal services, thus making the 'smartcard' an old outdated bit of technology. Keys over internet would give the chance for pay-tv channels, or ppv events etc, video-on-demand, IPTV, etc, all to be legitimately available to these freesat receivers and no card slot or smartcard needed :).

At the moment the biggest problem I can see is that everyone confuses BBCi with BBC iplayer..... lol.

jesus, look at my spelling in that last post lol, and i havent even had a smoke yet.

slys next gen receivers are runoured to have wi-fi and ethernet, and be server enabled so run slave boxes like the old pace minibox, but without a card, maybe sly are copying the pirates?

All sky ideas, developments & advancements come from pirates dont they? :)
But yes Pace & nds have been developing legitimate local server solutions for a couple of years, like for multiroom & internet use via 1 card only. We know why nds had to get involved with developing network encryption solutions, because the smartcard may just become as outdated as a cassette.

Back