Size of dish for the Algarve

nwabhguhtrebor

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there,
We are taking our Hobby caravan down the Algarve(Alvor) next week and siting it full time. I want to buy a suitable size satellite dish and set it up as a permament installation, but don't want to buy anything unnecessarily large for aesthetic reasons.
Last year we had an 85cm roof mounted Oyster dish on our motorhome and it worked fine, but I have been told that the 'band width has been tightened' ? and the 'signal is weaker' and I will need a larger dish. Various sources have advised anything from 1m to 1.8m. We only watch to watch English channels via a Humax freesat box.
Any help gratefully received,
Regards, Rob

With your existing dish you will get what you got last year with the exception of CH5 and its associates, some CH4 and perhaps your ITV region. If you lose your ITV region the you will need to do a reinstall using a different post code. I have a 1.5m dish in Praia da Luz and I do not get these channels neither now. If you will be there over summer then on the launch of 2E satellite you may lose other channels but to get them the dish you will need would be bigger than your caravan.

At the moment you will be alrigth but the future is not looking so good the u.k channels are slowly migrating to Astra 2F which has a tight beam focused on the u.k.

Hi devbro,
appreciate your feedback. You saved me wasting money! We'll stick with what we've got for now.
Cheers, Rob

With your current dish you will not receive the following channels without going bigger:

Channel 5 London, South Central, North, Scotland, Northern Ireland, 5 USA, 5 USA +1, 5*, 5* +1, Channel 5 +1

ITV1 meridian, Anglia, Yorkshire, Central South West, Granada HD, London HD all +1's

BBC One HD Scotland & Wales

Channel 4 HD and 4SEven

Don't buy a dish at the moment standard size is 1.4m for that's all gone out the window since C5 went to 2F spot beam. Not a sign of signal on 1.9m not tried any bigger than that yet.

Vale do Lobo have a communal 4m dish & they don't get sniff of 2F either :grayno:

Don't buy a dish at the moment standard size is 1.4m for that's all gone out the window since C5 went to 2F spot beam. Not a sign of signal on 1.9m not tried any bigger than that yet.

Back