Should i claim on contents insurance. TV

friendzi

DW Regular +
Reaction score
My TV has a feint grey patch from top to bottom on the right hand side. Was purchased in 2009 so it expected to be wearing out. I've never claimed on any insurance before. Would this count an an eligible claim as its technically gone faulty. Or not?

Thanks

Home and contents. Can't remember what it covers now though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Needs to be damaged

Contents insurance also usually covers:

your legal liability as occupier of the house, eg if a visitor has an accident and injures themselves
cost of accommodation and storage if you can't live in your home because of damage (e.g. fire, flooding etc)
some accidental damage to stereo equipment, TVs, computers, DVD players and any glass in furniture (e.g. a glass tabletop)
replacement keys and locks, and locksmith's fees if you lose or damage your keys
damage to TV and radio aerials, and satellite dishes
loss of food if a freezer breaks down
theft of cash from your home
contents of your outbuildings (although the amount of cover varies a lot from policy to policy and there may be lower limits for theft).

Cheers. The keyword there is SOME accidental damage

I do have a 2 half year old and the missus is a childminder. Plenty of little ones around lol

Something hit the screen and smashed it would be my guess. New panel = new tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Fingers and thumbs ...

Did you inform your insurers that your wife used the home for child-minding ? If not and they discover this fact then they could refuse any claims, because although it is still your home it is also being used as a "commercial" property. Your best bet would be claiming on the Child Minding insurance for damage (perhaps some sort of liquid having entered the TV and damaging it, but not noticed until clearing up after all the children had gone ?) If the TV had fallen or had an object hit it then they may possibly want to know which child was involved so that they could try to counter claim on the child's parent's household insurance which would have a Public Liability clause in it.
Or if you are claiming on your household insurance perhaps you were moving it to a safer part of the house and you dropped it ?
Not that I would encourage anybody to falsely claim on insurance, but these sort of scenarios did occur whilst I worked for an insurance company.

Did you inform your insurers that your wife used the home for child-minding ? If not and they discover this fact then they could refuse any claims, because although it is still your home it is also being used as a "commercial" property.

That is a very good point. She hasnt been doing it long so no we didnt inform them and we havnt changed her job details.

@friendzi TV's are quite cheap nowadays it really isn't worth the hassle claiming on insurance policies because next year the price of your insurance will go up. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I did think that myself to be honest. Just got to talk the missus round now lol

check your policy.
Have you even got accidental damage cover, it's not standard and costs extra
How much is your excess, this will be deducted from any claim.
Do you have new for old, not standard. If you don't then they will offer you market value, for a 5 year old TV this is likely to be peanuts.
And of course your premium will go up for next year.

Back