iMac Share a printer on a mac to a windows machine? or just print via the network

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chaps,

Set up and a printer that's attached to a router, so on the windows pc i have it all working as it's set up as 192.168.1.10 on the network and I've downloaded and installed the print software, now also managed to share a folder from the mac to the PC and vice versa, which is cool, I've added the printer to the mac and done all sharing options etc that i can see on both the mac and the PC, when i press print it sends it to the PC and i see it appear in the windows based machines print queue, but it doesn't print, I've also just tried direct and that don't work, silly question, do i need a "mac printer" driver installed on the mac to allow it to print?

Cheers

Go on your mac and look in Safari at all Bookmarks, it should bring up a thing called "Bonjour" have a look to see if the Mac can see the printer. If it can go to Sym Preferences and then Print & Scan, then click to + a printer

TBH I found it easier installing it on the Mac first and sharing from that to the PC.

yeah the mac can see the printer as I've added it, and it states "on line" on the mac etc...all though i ain't added it through Safari, bookmarks i don't think, it's a friends set up like so can't check at the minute...

You shouldnt need to "share" the printer between Mac and PC.

If the printer is attached to the router then that should act as a print server so all you need is to install the printer driver on the pc and mac as if it was a network printer. When you print on ether machine the documents should just go straight to the printer.

Thanks very much for the reply, the guy didn't have a clue what he was doing and i went around on Saturday to do it all just to be pushed out the way and told "don't worry I'll go to the mac shop" so fook him, and the horse he rode in on, I'd only went and set it up on the windows machine and done his "share" folder and all that then gets that pushed back into me face.......so I'll just leave him the way it is, what's the point of me going round to do it to then be told "just leave it" x metal work teacher you see! lololol....

Any way the printer was found and it just would not print just kept saying "paused" and then we un-paused it etc.....

Any way fook him for now......he's happy with what the "mac shop" told him and that was "it's too old"...muppet!

I have a "mac book" so i have a printer as well, i'll probs be back when i get the charger for it as i have a printer all though it's not a networked one it's set up on my PC so should be easy.

Thanks though bud, but with an attitude like what he had i ain't wasting my time going back round again....cheers

Just for info if you have a printer that isn't a network printer, and your router doesnt have USB printer ports, you can get a small print server, basically a box that plugs into your network using ether wireless or wired, and you can plug 1 or 2 USB printers into it so you can share any USB printer (ether just a printer or multifunction printer/scanner). Works with mac or pc.

The one I have is by Sitecom (it's an LN-308 and cost me £10 on ebay) is is a wired one and can share 2 USB devices, they dont have to be printers it will also share a USB flash drive or USB hard drive. It works with both my canon inkjet, which is just a printer, and my colour laser which is also a scanner.

There's a small program that runs on each pc/mac and this makes the computer think that the printer is connected directly. You just install the printer driver as normal.

Works with all 4 of the pc's and 2 laptops on my network.

yeah thanks very much for that i use quite a lot of print servers at work......it was just frustrating to get to his and then he shove me out the way, but thanks, my printer at the moment here at home isn't connected via one,when i get the power pack for the mac i might grab one for me self.

Thanks again for you time/info/post mate.

Back