iPhone Semitethered jailbreak

Kryton

<font color="PINK">I LOVE PINK</font>
VIP Member
Reaction score
‘Semitethered’ Jailbreak For iOS 5 Released! Here’s How to Get It

What’s the next best thing to an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5? A Semitethered Jailbreak of course!

Just a few minutes ago BigBoss released Semitethered Jailbreak, a new Cydia package that lets you reboot your iOS 5 jailbroken iPhone at will while away from your computer!

It’s not without it’s caveats, but it’s a whole lot better than a normal tethered jailbreak. Details inside…

To use Semitethered Jailbreak, simply do the following:
Step 1: Tether Jailbreak your iOS 5 device with RedSn0w
Step 2: Add "http://thebigboss.org/semitether" to your Cydia sources
Step 3: Install SemiTether and reboot!

Note: You can also follow A complete Guide,Here How to Perform a Semi Tethered Jailbreak

That’s it. Now you can reboot your iPhone, even away from your computer!

As mentioned, there are a few pluses and minuses though.

-Phone will reboot to Home screen
-Can use every stock app on iPhone except Mail and Safari until boot tether
-Can’t use Cydia, or any jailbreak apps and tweaks until boot tether
-Phone can take longer to boot

That’s a pretty good compromise, and sure beats having a looping apple logo if your phone happens to crash or reboot while away from the computer.

Let’s just call it really good jailbreak life insurance, shall we? Video coming shortly!

Have you used Semitethered Jailbreak yet? Are you excited?

What is a semi tethered jailbreak?

The semi-tethered jailbreak will allow you to reboot on the road, but with limited functionality. It is enough that you are no longer stranded, and you can use your phone, text, and many other features. This is just until you get home and can use redsn0w again to “just boot tethered”. Once you do that, you’re back to fully functional state.

Here is a summary of what you can and cannot do when in semi-tethered reboot state:

Can use phone, sms (text messages)
Can use every other stock app on iphone.
Cannot use mobile safari
Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

You can follow the whole topic on sinfuliphone

still gunna wait but this is progress i wait with anticipation

I know somebody who has done this and it uninstalls installous ?

great find, think il hold on for the fully untethered version though, surely it cant be too far away lol

i have a question does anyone have any ideas why jailbreakme views like this on my iphone half a page :(

IMG_0044.png

i have a question does anyone have any ideas why jailbreakme views like this on my iphone half a page :(
firmware version not supported?
what firmware are you on mate? think jailbreakme.com only supports 4.3 and 4.3.3

im guessing because there should be an "install" button on the right side of the cydia logo and your FW not being supported then you cannot see the "install" button resulting in only half the page showing.

taken from mine on 4.3.3

33zep9f.png

Last edited:
im on IO5 m8 but its the only web page thats not full screen very strange, its only gone like that since i put on new firmware :(

im on IO5 m8 but its the only web page thats not full screen very strange, its only gone like that since i put on new firmware :(

as i said m8, its showing your device (iso5) as unsupported (jailbreakme only supports 4.3 & 4.3.3) so its not showing you the "install" button...hence why only half the page is viewable

Last edited:
i have tried this and found once installed my iphone wonest reconised in itunes so unistalled it ,

Back