Scotland squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Gordon (Sunderland), Marshall (Norwich), McGregor (Rangers);

Alexander(Burnley), Barr (Falkirk), Berra (Hearts), Caldwell (Celtic),
Davidson(Preston), McManus (Celtic), McNaughton (Cardiff), Naysmith (Sheffield United), Weir (Rangers); Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Celtic), Maloney (Celtic), Morrison (West Brom), Robson (Celtic), Thomson (Rangers); Boyd (Rangers), Clarkson (Motherwell), McFadden (Birmingham), Miller (Rangers), O'Connor (Birmingham).

Shaun Maloney and Garry O'Connor have been recalled to the Scotland squad for next month's World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia and Iceland.

Scotland boss George Burley has been impressed by the strike pair and he has named them in his squad for their opening World Cup qualifiers.

Maloney returned to Celtic last week from Aston Villa and made an immediate impact with an impressive showing in the weekend win over Falkirk.

O'Connor has enjoyed a fine start to the campaign with Birmingham netting three goals in five appearances.

Burley will be without skipper Barry Ferguson for the two games as he recovers from injury meaning Stephen McManus will captain the side in the Rangers midfielder's absence.

Tottenham defender Alan Hutton has also been ruled out as he struggles with a foot injury.

Meanwhile, Burley has revealed he is set to impose a curfew on Scotland's players during the international break.

"There is a code of conduct that I will put in place with the guys in the

squad," noted Burley.

"They are representing their country and they are well aware of that. We have not had any problems with them.

"We are with each other for a very short period, so it is important they represent Scotland in the right way during that time.

"Our focus is on the World Cup. We have eight games, eight difficult games, in which to try to reach South Africa. They can make history if we qualify because it has been 10 years already [since Scotland last qualified].

"We return on the Saturday evening after Macedonia and the players will be allowed to head home to their families.

"But they will be in for training on the Sunday before we then head to Iceland on the Tuesday.

"It is a tough schedule. The Old Firm guys are playing on Sunday and reporting to me with Scotland on the Monday but that's life as a professional footballer.

"The international fixtures are always sandwiched in between big club games, with Norway coming to Hampden in October.

"They will be reminded of what we want and expect from them.

"I will be speaking to them (about the Saturday night). They will be well aware we have another World Cup qualifier on the Wednesday and that they are representing their countries. I do not foresee any problems."

Last edited:
great for clarky to get back in hoepfully he gets a run out!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Gordon (Sunderland), Marshall (Norwich), McGregor (Rangers) good gks

Alexander(Burnley)
Weir (Rangers)

both too old too slow after this season wouldnt have him in scotland squad again, caldwell and mcmanus got to start as a pairing

Brown (Celtic), Commons (Derby), Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Celtic), Maloney (Celtic), Morrison (West Brom), Robson (Celtic), Thomson (Rangers);

id like to see brown out the first 11 untill he gets some form, he goes missing to much in games for celtic, maybe due to sister dieing last year, should have better season this year, glad to see thomson get his chance

Boyd (Rangers),
McFadden (Birmingham)
Miller (Rangers)
O'Connor (Birmingham).
Clarkson (Motherwell) shouldnt be in squad guy aint international quality

my prefered line up out that squad
gordon
Alexander mcmanus caldwell Davidson
fletcher thomson robson mcfadden
boyd miller

I think it should be

gk Gordon