Scooter will not turn over - Electric Start ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

managed to get a scooter given to me and fixed all wiring and had a new battery and it kicks up and runs fine.

The only problem with it is that it struglles to turn over on electric start. the starter kicks in but it will just about do one revolution ?
If i remove the plug so there is no compression it turns over easily on the electric start ?

Any ideas what this could be ??

Cheers

take it is a 50cc scooter when i had 1 some years ago i never used the elec. start coz it just drains the battery so fast the problem could be that there is a large cable going straight to the starter motor is not very good or wrong battery type for scooter not enough amp hour to turn motor over or the starter might be worn just to weak to turn engine with compretion. it will turn engine easy with no plug in as there is no compresion hense you can turn engine with your hand but it is alot harder if you put the plug in

Battery is correct amperage and fully charged, just find it strange that it kicks over with no compressio (plug removed).
Also starter motor and cables all look fine.

There could be any number of reasons mate, Have you tried spinning it over manually, I mean short out the solanoid where the two large wires get jointed also check you have a good earth, better still attach a new one near the starter itself.

Have removed starter and checked brushes - all ok. tested it on 12v and it spins like F*&k.
Have even put another 12v battery in parrallel and still struggles, checked earth fine.

At a loss now, might put my car battery across it now and see what happens.

Back