SatNav Or PDA

P_Hairy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been using my laptop with GPS Magic for the last 4 years but now I have decided to get either a dedicated Satnav or a PDA and software. I need some advice on the best way to go

Thanks

Paul.

Thanks for that, Which PDA do you recomend ?

Hi, I use the Acer N35 and thats really good. I like the fact it can do so much more than just your sat nav and can be carried around in your pocket with ease. As the GPS is built in you can also use it in buys streets on foot, just remember the battery will not last forever. One common fault is that it has a rubbish power connector lead in the car which brakes, its best to buy a cheap o one from ebay as they have no trailing parts. You will see what I mean if you buy one.

I'm using TT6 on a HP4700 with CF card GPS, works great, tried the Bluetooth GPS first but it required using two hands whilst walking around cities, since the CF card GPS plugs in to the PDA its a one handed operation.

Cheers T9

I just bought an Axim X30 from ebay, put tom tom 6 on here today, uploaded the new poi and speed cameras and its already to go, much better than my navman 610, so much hassle trying to update the maps on there it was a joke.
PDA is the way to go, especially with all the "free" satnav software floating around : colors1

You may want to check out the Tomtom sat nav. I know a few people my wife included who just want to get into a car and switch on the sat nav and go wherever it is they going without fiddling about with a device. I guess its as daft as using your mobile to talk to people! I myself use an IPAQ with Tomtom 6.2 on it and think its great except when you want to install the major upgrades that Tomtom put out every so often.

As I've metioned on other threads, I'd go with a PDA, easily updateable, nice and portable (you don't want to carry those bulky bits of kit around), and mine was nice and cheap Navman pin 570 (£100) Including GPS.

Hard to know which route to take. There are quite a few known problems with PDA versions. The main one is dodge bluetooth connections which result in frustrating outages. The second is the screen size although many people are happy enough with it.

Dedicated Sat Nav systems are also coming in many forms. Lots of them can be simply disconnected from your car and taken with you. Handy for exploring a city on foot.

My vote goes for a PDA

Hi,

For what its worth, I'd go for a PDA since you can use it for other things when you're not using it for SatNav. eg as a cutdown PC. I use a MIO 350 (which has GPS built-in) running Windows 5 pocket PC. I can use GPS-enabled golf course programmes to tell me distance to the pin for example (how sad is that?).

There are plenty of other programmes that you can run on (any) PDA. eg you can use it as an MP3 player.

For sheer flexibility, I'd go for a Windows-based PDA.

Gary

Just upgraded to an 02 Orbit....Simply stunning.
Built in sirf iii receiver very fast to lock on, and of course an endless supply of "free" sat nav software and pois.

Just moved from an XDA. The only problem with these along with smartphones such as the N80 ws the branded firmware was crap. If anybody is still having bluetooth related outages, then simply update you firmware.

Back