router or not

knight

DW Member ++
Reaction score
hi can someone tell me if i can network my desktop pc and my laptop without a router? i was told i could put a wireless pcmcia adaptor in my laptop and a wireless usb adaptor in my desktop pc and connect the two without the need of anything else. thanks in advance :pimp:

yes you can, you have to put network sharing on the machine with the internet connection, this will slow this machine down.
I used to do this but with a router you get a hardware firewall and
your not slowing the main machine down, in theory it shouldn't slow it down much but mine was a dog when the other computer was on.
I think computer to computer is called ad hoc mode but I could well be wrong.

it does realy depend what u want to do, if it is just to connect them together to share files printers etc then us can do what u said 2 x wireless adapters. gets tricky (need more software) for both to access i/net at a reasonable speed.

if your lappy and pc have a built in/onboard network cards then, all u need is a cross over rj45 cable. (cost £4 ish) a lot less than wireless adaptors even if u buy netcard for pc in the brown box section in pcworld about £8.

if u want both to have access to i/net etc then a router is probably the way to go, wether u go wired/wirless is up to u, there are still security issues with wireless but its getting better.

as ellie said you can but it will slow you down you better to go wireless for the sake of 30 notes or so but speed is still limeted

thanks for the replys guys i have ordered a wireless router and a pcmcia adaptor for the lappy thanks for your advice

Back